Tech Support Guy banner
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why do you think that there is all this fudging around the attempt to stop motorists speeding ? The problem with speeding has never been honestly tackled by any government. It should have been dealt with decades ago- the longer it was ignored, the greater the number of abusers , the larger the umbrage at its enforcement.It is still only dallied with . In Britain , the penalties are flawed as are the penalising rules Penalty Points are not the solution in the vast majority of cases: maybe a system of 'points' leading NOT to loosing your licence but resitting the driving test again until you repassed BUT still being able to drive legally, along with a community service component outside of working hours. But this kind of approach will only work alongside a MASSIVE publicity campaign explaining it well befofe its introduction and a MASSIVE increase in detection - highly portable mobile speed cameras in huge quantities being deployed unobtrusively all over the country combined with traffic cops in full force policing speed traps undetectable to the motorists' eyes- again with a say 2 week to a month verbal warning period before speeders D.Day - think the motor / petrol interests would allow it?

·
Banned
44,930 Posts
.............highly portable mobile speed cameras in huge quantities being deployed unobtrusively all over the country combined with traffic cops in full force policing speed traps undetectable to the motorists' eyes- again with a say 2 week to a month verbal warning period before speeders D.Day - think the motor / petrol interests would allow it?
With onboard gps, there will be no need for the above scenario....cars can be monitored from satellite.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/05/03/brits-thinking-about-gps-tracking-every-car-on-the-road/

And the extreme .......speed controlled by gps:
http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/250029/GPS_Monitors_and_Controls_Car_Speed_Limit

·
Registered
6,091 Posts

·
Super Moderator
79,318 Posts
what bugs me about this entire 'speeding' thing is that for a sum, you can take your car (or, in my case, a buddy's of mine souped up 'Stang) and take it out to the local track for stuff called Track Days. He's got a 2k5 mustang, putting out well over 300 bhp, finally convinced him to lower the suspension so you don't get that sickening tilt through turn 12 onto the banking in 3rd and red-lined, but the damn thing has a built-in governer on it that will NOT allow the car to go past 150.......I hit that still in 4th and thought I blew his engine (he was already mad at me for turning faster lap times than him, plus the fact that when racing I generally don't use the clutch as much as the tranny would like), but no, just the rev limiter......still had a gear to go, and there I was, 'stuck', at 150.

If I wrecked that car, I'd be relatively safe; it's got a professional roll cage, frame mounted seats and the 5 point harness. No HANS device, but I feel comfy enough in it to go to 150; what the big difference between flipping it at 150 and, say, 175 or 180?

And this is on a sanctioned motor speedway, you have to sign all sorts of crap just to get onto the course, and if you screw up a few times, off you go to the kiddie land to learn how to drive better. Ostensibly, you are supposed to have a racing license, but while Dan has one, I no longer do, and I still get out there.

But that ticked me off. One of the few times I can actually take a V8 and let her stretch her legs, and the damn thing has a factory installed rev-limiter.

·
Banned
44,930 Posts
what bugs me about this entire 'speeding' thing is that for a sum, you can take your car (or, in my case, a buddy's of mine souped up 'Stang) and take it out to the local track for stuff called Track Days. He's got a 2k5 mustang, putting out well over 300 bhp, finally convinced him to lower the suspension so you don't get that sickening tilt through turn 12 onto the banking in 3rd and red-lined, but the damn thing has a built-in governer on it that will NOT allow the car to go past 150.......I hit that still in 4th and thought I blew his engine (he was already mad at me for turning faster lap times than him, plus the fact that when racing I generally don't use the clutch as much as the tranny would like), but no, just the rev limiter......still had a gear to go, and there I was, 'stuck', at 150.

If I wrecked that car, I'd be relatively safe; it's got a professional roll cage, frame mounted seats and the 5 point harness. No HANS device, but I feel comfy enough in it to go to 150; what the big difference between flipping it at 150 and, say, 175 or 180?

And this is on a sanctioned motor speedway, you have to sign all sorts of crap just to get onto the course, and if you screw up a few times, off you go to the kiddie land to learn how to drive better. Ostensibly, you are supposed to have a racing license, but while Dan has one, I no longer do, and I still get out there.

But that ticked me off. One of the few times I can actually take a V8 and let her stretch her legs, and the damn thing has a factory installed rev-limiter.
My Z28 is also computer limited, but the chip can be flashed to raise the limit.......
I have :eek: ..................:D

My new DL1000 mc is also speed limited, but it's mostly because it's known to handle very poorly above 120.
There is a kit to over ride the computer, but I'm leaving it alone.

·
Registered
6,091 Posts
My Z28 is also computer limited, but the chip can be flashed to raise the limit.......
I have :eek: ..................:D

My new DL1000 mc is also speed limited, but it's mostly because it's known to handle very poorly above 120.
Oh no kidding!!!...

My Honda VFR 750 settles in smooth as silk between 95 and 105, with another 20 mph before top end -- I don't think it's a computer issue though, just all there is, but I don't use that unless I need to accelerate to move around/out-of-the-way-of something, when I'm already "cruisin" at speed! ;) :D

Wish the fuel economy was as good in the same range,... :rolleyes:

Funny thing is, State Troopers will pass me at those speeds, and don't seem to care!?... <shrug>:eek:

·
Registered
51,023 Posts
Originally Posted by jmosmith
...besides, that's why I learned to read an actual map as a Boy Scout; so I don't need a GPS! :up:
Agreed
Obviously, neighter of you have one because you would never have made such a statement. GPS is FAR SUPERIOR to a map not to mention that you don't have to pull over to look at the map nor do you have to kill yourself trying to read one while your driving. The best part of the GPS though is the integration with my phone. A few weeks ago, on President's day, I was out and about wtih my wife and we were going to grab lunch--didn't know if the places we were thinking about going were open--all we had to do is punch the restuarant name into the GPS, touch the telephone number and then it dialed for us--found out the first one we were thinking about was closed--so we tried the next, it was open.

Also, say you are somewhere and you want to stop for a coffee or something--you can punch in "Starbucks" and it will tell you where the nearest one is with step by step directions--how in the hell would you do that with a map? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
51,023 Posts
Why do you think that there is all this fudging around the attempt to stop motorists speeding ? The problem with speeding has never been honestly tackled by any government. It should have been dealt with decades ago- the longer it was ignored, the greater the number of abusers , the larger the umbrage at its enforcement.It is still only dallied with . In Britain , the penalties are flawed as are the penalising rules Penalty Points are not the solution in the vast majority of cases: maybe a system of 'points' leading NOT to loosing your licence but resitting the driving test again until you repassed BUT still being able to drive legally, along with a community service component outside of working hours.
Actually, the point system is HIGHLY EFFECTIVE at addressing the problem. There was a point I got two tickets in the a short period of time--I was damn sure after that not to anything even remotely close to what would get me a ticket. And since then I learned to use the cruise control (learned that in 2nd level traffic school! :D )--excellent way to avoid speeding. I can't think of a better system than the fear of losing your license if you get too many tickets.

·
Registered
6,091 Posts
Obviously, neighter of you have one because you would never have made such a statement. GPS is FAR SUPERIOR to a map not to mention that you don't have to pull over to look at the map nor do you have to kill yourself trying to read one while your driving. The best part of the GPS though is the integration with my phone. A few weeks ago, on President's day, I was out and about wtih my wife and we were going to grab lunch--didn't know if the places we were thinking about going were open--all we had to do is punch the restuarant name into the GPS, touch the telephone number and then it dialed for us--found out the first one we were thinking about was closed--so we tried the next, it was open.

Also, say you are somewhere and you want to stop for a coffee or something--you can punch in "Starbucks" and it will tell you where the nearest one is with step by step directions--how in the hell would you do that with a map? :rolleyes:
True enough, all that stuff IS awesome.

But useless on a MC,...

However, a simple map attached to the tank, folded the right way to show you the relevant rout (highlighted even), works perfectly for going out riding -- GPS is for the "destination",... MC's are for the RIDE ;) :up: :D

...see what I mean?

But otherwise, we were talking about the potential disadvantage of a statalite tracking you "speeding", through your GPS,... and that being a negative thing,... and I think you mean "navigators" more than just "GPS", cause the latter only tells you where you are, not all that other stuff -- Garmin, Magellin, Tom-Tom,... all of 'em are friggin awesome! For exactly what you've described,... just wasn't what we were talking about. (you hate "cut and paste", but can't bother to read a thread 1 page long? :confused: ...that's a Mulder-On move if I ever saw one! :D :p ;) )

·
Banned
44,930 Posts

However, a simple map attached to the tank, folded the right way to show you the relevant rout (highlighted even), works perfectly for going out riding -- GPS is for the "destination",... MC's are for the RIDE ;) :up: :D
:up:.......;)

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
Not my FJR. :D I've had it at about at an indicated 142 mph (I'd say it was really about 130) and that baby was rock steady....not a wiggle or wobble at anytime....felt as steady as if I was doing 50..............then I scared myself, shat my pants and closed down that throttle. :D

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
With current technology the computer in a modern car could be programmed to receive radio signals from a road beacon that would limit top speed to whatever the speed limit is for that road. That'll happen in America about the same time they ban all gun ownership.

·
Registered
51,023 Posts
But otherwise, we were talking about the potential disadvantage of a statalite tracking you "speeding", through your GPS,... and that being a negative thing,... and I think you mean "navigators" more than just "GPS", cause the latter only tells you where you are, not all that other stuff -- Garmin, Magellin, Tom-Tom,... all of 'em are friggin awesome! For exactly what you've described,... just wasn't what we were talking about. (you hate "cut and paste", but can't bother to read a thread 1 page long? :confused: ...that's a Mulder-On move if I ever saw one! :D :p ;) )
Uhhhh----sorry there Mr. Economist, but when people talk about "GPS" the common usage now is regarding the use of it for nagivation systems in automobiles. If fact, do a search on Garmin or Magellin or Tom-Tom and all you'll get "GPS" reference out the wazoo. How exactly do you think they work? :rolleyes:

And no one is going to be tracking your speeding through your GPS system. Perhaps some day if they decide to start issuing speeding tickets based on tracking your GPS, I'll consider going back to a map! Or here's an idea--just don't speed!!!

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi Mulderator. I am sure the existing system is highly effective for You - but you seem an articulated , sensible chap . It is certainly not effective for many and I know in Britain that sitting a 'driver re-education course as a necessity for many who have reached their 'points limit' seems to help the situation.(speeding ) -( and drunk driving )
Bastiat, maybe we could change the saying to ' Big Chip is watching you '.

·
Registered
51,023 Posts
Hi Mulderator. I am sure the existing system is highly effective for You - but you seem an articulated , sensible chap . It is certainly not effective for many and I know in Britain that sitting a 'driver re-education course as a necessity for many who have reached their 'points limit' seems to help the situation.(speeding ) -( and drunk driving )
Bastiat, maybe we could change the saying to ' Big Chip is watching you '.
Well if you've ever had to sit through one of those all day classes, it is DEFINITELY a deterrent to speeding or any other traffic violation. The way it works here, you get dinged on your insurance for every ticket you get--if you go to traffic school, the ticket is dismissed never shows up on your record so your insurance rates don't go up--again--highly effective deterrent, IMO.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hello Mulderator. That seems like a great encourager (traffic school>tickets dismissed>> no extra charge ) . In Britain we have a Most Vocal 'that's just for the police/local authorities/government to raise more money from us downtrodden car drivers ' and this aspect of 'shifting this blame ' to the insurance companies would maybe be constructive .

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
I personally like the American ambassador flipping the bird to the Mayor of London who wants to charge for cars driven by American employees of the embassy for driving in downtown London.
:D

You'd think you British types would have learned the first time: No Taxation Without Representation.
Sounds like another arse kicking is in order.
:D:D ;)

1 - 20 of 100 Posts