Tech Support Guy banner

The Meaning of Life...and What happens After...

4703 Views 143 Replies 27 Participants Last post by  mom2inky
I ask this question to Everyone here...This is a question of our beliefs and i direct it to each and every one of you....This is for those who believe in life after death and for those who do not believe....This is for those who Believe in The Supreme Being...AND for those who do Not...:)

I have been doing a lot of thinking lately about what happens to us after our bodies give out and Die...I have so many questions but will try to make this as brief as possible...:)

Do you belive in ghosts and/or spirits ??? Do we in fact have souls ??? Each one of us will eventually Die and i was wondering what you All think about what happens to us when that time comes...:eek: :confused:

Do we just Only exist in the memories of the living ??? Do our spirits roam the gallaxy ??? Is there a Heaven and a Hell ??? Are our lives here the previously mentioned Hell ??? Has Anyone ever seen Ghosts or Felt Spirits ??? Why do we strive for the greater good if in the End there is Nothing ??? Lastly What Exactly is the Meaning of Life ???

Personally i am a spiritual person...Yet my beliefs change from time to time...i would like to have the Input from you ALL on these questions...Not just the Fanatics...;) :rolleyes: :D
41 - 60 of 144 Posts
PhoenixNEW said:
What is his name ?
There is a proper name for our Heavenly Father but I'm sorry it escapes me. I will ask my son. But I do know that out of respect and love He is addressed as Heavenly Father & not by His proper name (just as we call our dad - father - and not by their proper name)
katonca said:
I have lived both with faith and w/o. Since my faith is based on God and I believe in the Word of God, then I feel secure in my belief of the afterlife :up:
I'd say you probably have an unpleasant surprise coming, but since you'll be dead, I guess you actually won't :p
erick295 said:
I'd say you probably have an unpleasant surprise coming, but since you'll be dead, I guess you actually won't :p
Hopefully not, but as I always said - it's added insurance and isn't costing me anything extra to believe :D
erick295 said:
it is sad to think that we are alone in this world and that in a surprise moment something takes away our life.
erick295 said:
Don't you think "life" after death will pretty much be the same as it was for the eternity before you were born? As in, nothing?

We have enough intelligence to be aware of our existence and mortality, and enough creativity to fantasize about an afterlife. Unfortunately, we don't have enough guts to come to grips with the fact that there probably isn't one.
Food for thoughts....an interesting one too...but what about those that died, only came back from the dead?

What of those experiences? They, I think, can give us at least an idea of what to expect, or rather, what to see when we die.
Stay away from the light !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
erick295 said:
Let us consider that for a moment.

There are those of us, that because of our experience, believe in a life or existence beyond this world.

If you are correct and there is nothing, just an end to existence -- then the worst would be that you tried to live a positive, meaningful life.

If you are wrong, that there is more beyond this world -- then the worst would be an eternal life of darkness.

So, should we agree that all things being equal, the simplest solution tends to be the best one...the purposefulness of life itself might be the answer. ;)
The meaning of life?

just take my advice...pull down yor pants and slide on the ice ;)
izme said:
The meaning of life?

just take my advice...pull down yor pants and slide on the ice ;)
deep and meaningful advice as always lol :D
dot said:
deep and meaningful advice as always lol :D
I gave it some thought :p
izme said:
I gave it some thought :p
I can see that, so what will you use your remaining brain cell for?:p ;)
katonca said:
Hey erick,

I have lived both with faith and w/o. Since my faith is based on God and I believe in the Word of God, then I feel secure in my belief of the afterlife :up:
Amen brother!:)
Ciberblade said:
If you are correct and there is nothing, just an end to existence -- then the worst would be that you tried to live a positive, meaningful life.

If you are wrong, that there is more beyond this world -- then the worst would be an eternal life of darkness.

So, should we agree that all things being equal, the simplest solution tends to be the best one...the purposefulness of life itself might be the answer. ;)
I don't have any idea what that last sentence means, but considering the logic in the parts preceding that, you would have to embrace every religion in the world in order to be safe, which is impossible, because most of them condemn you for accepting other faiths. And how do you figure that living a positive, meaningful life is the worst? What do you mean? The worst of what? Religion? If you mean religion as a whole, then it's done a whole lot worse than allowed people to live meaningful lives. That's the best it's done, not the worst. If you mean something else, I think you'll have to explain that a little better.

PhoenixNEW said:
it is sad to think that we are alone in this world and that in a surprise moment something takes away our life.
I guess I agree with that, but the "surprise" I was referring to was ceasing to exist after you die, not death itself ;)

LitomoSilver said:
what about those that died, only came back from the dead?

What of those experiences? They, I think, can give us at least an idea of what to expect, or rather, what to see when we die.
No one who has died has reported much of anything beyond phosphene-like phenomena (most likely caused by the malfunction of the visual cortex and other areas of the brain during its oxygen deprivation), and the occasional religious imagery of whatever faith they have followed during their life. It's no surprise that someone in that state of panic and/or dysfunction would hallucinate, and many hallucinations or visions are created from imagery stored in the brain's memory. People may also form new memories about this disturbing and damaged moment after they regain consciousness by applying their taught beliefs to the confusing mess of perception the brain created as it broke down to the point of ceasing its function altogether.
See less See more
dot said:
I can see that, so what will you use your remaining brain cell for?:p ;)
well that put's me with one more than you have eh? :eek: :D
Hi poochee :)

Hope you had a safe and happy New Years Eve
erick295 said:
I don't have any idea what that last sentence means, but considering the logic in the parts preceding that, you would have to embrace every religion in the world in order to be safe, which is impossible, because most of them condemn you for accepting other faiths. And how do you figure that living a positive, meaningful life is the worst? What do you mean? The worst of what? Religion? If you mean religion as a whole, then it's done a whole lot worse than allowed people to live meaningful lives. That's the best it's done, not the worst. If you mean something else, I think you'll have to explain that a little better.
In regards to following religion...I was speaking to actual followership and not the distortions that cause said negativity and pain. But that would be the worst of religion -- I was talking about the worst of life lived through following the teachings.

True, rationalization could lead logic to embrace every religion -- but the simplified issue was with or without. I hope that is a bit more clear.
James 1: 5 & 6

5) If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.
6) But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed.

{{{:up:}}}
Blackmirror said:
Stay away from the light !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You're a card BM :D
Ciberblade said:
Let us consider that for a moment.

There are those of us, that because of our experience, believe in a life or existence beyond this world.

So are you living a positive life because of the perceived afterlife or because its the right thing to do either way?
Q : The meaning of life ?
A : ?

Q : What happens after ?
A : ?

I just asked the same questions to my cats and they looked at me meditatively with their big round eyes.
Now, it makes me feel sure that I'm not alone to have no answer.
41 - 60 of 144 Posts