Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a self taught user of mature years, so have little correct terminology to use. I have an old PC which I am in the process of scrapping and transferring all my data and applications to a year old laptop. I have had a few problems to ovecome, but by using online support I have managed to overcome most of them. Now however I an having problems downloading from the internet. getting the following error message. "Internet Explorer cannot download ! ! ! ! The connection with the server has been reset. I have tried to overcome this by searching the net for an explanation. Unfortunately I am unable to understand the terminology used and need help in words of one sylable Please help me. Thanks in anticipation

·
Registered
84 Posts
by any chance, are you running AVG anti-virus ?

·
Banned
5,251 Posts
Back when dial-up was the prevalant technology employed to access the internet, reset errors happened all the time right? Same thing applies now; somewhere along the connection, it was delayed or broken long enough to interrupt the download or whatever process was going on that required a connection.

You might be able to do someting about that if its the hardware path of connection to your computer or some interferring software but it can also be caused by interrupts in the connection at locations you have no control over which makes it difficult to diagnose if the problem doesn't predictably repeat.

Which is one of the reasons download managers were invented (GetRight, FlashGet, etc.) becuase they will bridge the gap by suspending the download when the connection is lost and then pick up where they left off when it comes back, unlike the Windows downloader which just takes a dump on ya.

So until, if, when you figure out if the connection problem is something you can control, try using a download manager.

·
Registered
84 Posts
that's a very good idea about the d/l managers.....thanks for the suggestion :up:

i threw the anti-virus into the equation, as i too have been having "Server Reset blah blah blah" probs over the last month when d/ling. I read on another forum about specifically running AVG anti-virus, to shut that program down during d/ling solves the Server Reset prob. I do just that >>>> shut AVG down and have nooo probs with the d/l, but if i leave the AV running......i get the "Server Reset" :mad:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.