Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok been here a little while now, but one question comes to mind and very curious about, people talk about taking what ever version of the operating system, off their computer (mostly it's Vista) and put XP or what ever other OS on to it, but they still refer to it as the Vista machine.:confused:

Is there a make of a computer (I mean the computer/laptop itself that is actually called Vista? I have searched the net and as yet not found a computer or laptop or any other device that is actually called a Vista computer or machine.

Yet this is referred to many times in these forums

Even a few have commented saying they have problems with the OS they have installed because its a Vista machine or computer, as far as I am aware it does not matter what OS you have on your machine as long as the equipment is capable of running the OS you install.

E.g. the obvious - a computer made in 1975 will not run today’s programs (as far as I am aware)

It’s only because I see this so often I started to wonder, can someone clear this up for me am I right? Or wrong?

I have worked in IT and I am sure i am right, but because I am no expert I just thought i would ask.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Beanie,I like the name by the way.

You are completly right.

If you rid yourself of Vista and install XP it is no longer a Vista run computer it is now an XP run computer.

So now I agree it should be called the XP computer.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
woooohooooo
So my training was not waisted

Thank you

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
Most every computer I've worked on (including both of mine) has a little sticker somewhere on the case that say something like "Designed for Windows XP" or "Designed for Windows Vista". This may be the source of what you have heard. This most certainly does not limit that computer to the specific OS, but generally speaking, you can be sure it will operate with the OS identified. My Dell Inspiron 1501 normally comes from Dell with Windows Vista installed. I specifically ordered Windows XP (Dell gives that option), so that is what the label says. I can, however, upgrade to Vista when, and if, I chose to do so.

Raybro

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.