Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...all the while being connected via dial-up. In other words, I can dial-up to the internet and be connected, but my browser may or may not load pages. It becomes a trial-and-error thing, where if the browser doesn't load the pages, I disconnect from the internet and reconnect. Eventually, I'll get a "good connection" and be able to search the 'net. Initially, I thought I was "Working Offline" while I was connected to the 'net.

To clarify: I always have a working connection to the 'net. It's just a matter of whether MSIE "wants" to load the pages or not.

Before yesterday, I never had a problem with it; I would connect to the 'net and BOOM!, I'd be ready to go. I should also say that I was working with files in the C:\WINDOWS directory...messing with files and whatnot. I think what may be causing the unsavory behavior is that I touched, moved, altered, something that I shouldn't have and now it's giving the browser problems. It's my sister's computer...help!

Basics:
MSIE 6
Windows 98
Gateway G6-333e
Pentium II
32mb RAM

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
The first thing you can try is a repair of IE. If your version is 5.5 go to the Start button > Run and copy and paste the command below exactly as you see it:

rundll32 setupwbv.dll,IE5Maintenance "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\
Setup\SETUP.EXE" /g "C:\WINDOWS\IE Uninstall Log.Txt"

If the browser version is IE 6 the command instead would be:

rundll32 setupwbv.dll,IE6Maintenance "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\
Setup\SETUP.EXE" /g "C:\WINDOWS\IE Uninstall Log.Txt"

When the small box pops up be sure to check it to Repair the browser.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I ran the command to repair IE 6, and I thought that did the trick but the same behavior is occurring again. I am trying to wean my sister from using my computer, which is why I would like to get this issue fixed. Nonetheless, thank you for your help.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.