Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installd an ABIT , KV7 motherboard with an AMD 2600XP in place of my P111 667 ,,socket 370 after some years of good service. it just wasent doing the job . I am on a tight buget as you might guess . I play Everquest , an online game many of you will know about and I like to play two charecters at the same time , it is called 2Boxing . and this is the other machine . I run that computer with XP home and this one with XP pro. the machine with the problem has 640 megs of 2100 dd ram , a 300 watt power supply . It has a CDR but no floppy , A maxtor 40 g HD . Linksys NIC , a G2 TI 200 vidio card with 64 megs , { my next upgrade } [ this machine has an ATI 9600 pro with 128 megs that does not seem much better] I have RoadRunner Cable and work with a home network . Toshiba modem and linksys router . I had some troble getting started and had to format:c and start over. that seemed to work . BUT , 2 things , one is that it sometimes takes 2 minuets to do a thing that should take a tenth of a second , and ,,, it wont connect to the internet . I used the error message for a title ,, please I have tried all I can think of . it will conect to the LAN . or at least is says it is conected , but no internet , I tried the repair function but it fails . thanks .

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
To inable TCP/IP open up your network connections folder and right click on the one you use, then go to properties. Then make sure there is a checkmark beside "Internet Protocal (TCP/IP)"

If that doesn't work

Are both computers connected through the same router?
Is there a router involved?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went to the folder and then to properties . . there is no internet protocol (TCO/IP) listed there. That does sound like the kind of thing it will be . both computers use the same router . there is a third machine on that router aswell. thanks for the suggestion .

I went to the links ,, great , thanks.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I would try uninstalling the network card and re installing it. Go to control panel click on system and then hardware and then find the network card under network adapters. See if there is a yellow quotation mark next to it. If there is then you have a problem with the network card. If not right click and uninstall. Then right click anywhere in device manager and choose scan for hardware changes. See if this causes the card to get reinstalled. It may ask for your software drivers for your network card.
Hope this helps,
Jerry

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply . the Motherboard has onboard ethernet adapter witch claims to be working properly. I did have an extra NIC so I installed that and disabled the onbord adapter. it also claims to be working and both of them conect to the lan. both also give the same error when I try to repair.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Tell us what all is listed there (in the general tab of the connection properties).

BTW - Screenshots are golden :D

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Too maNY things missing or strainge . I decieded to reformat .and it worked . the OS install got everything going and I am running . thanks guys for the help . If you hadent told me to look for things that werent there for me I would not have known the XP install was messed up.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Your welcome I'm glad you got it working. Remember you can mark a thread as solved by going to the Thread tools menu at the top of the thread.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.