Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a mail application that picks up POP3 mail for 100 users from the internet.

After about an hour, it can no longer log in to any of the accounts.

It appears to be something about the number of open / not closed properly connections.

When I restart the PC, all is fine for about 1 hour until it starts to have the problem again.

If anybody can help it would be fantastic as I am getting a little tired of having to reboot the PC every hour.

Thanks.

Simon

·
Super Moderator
82,234 Posts
"It appears to be something about the number of open / not closed properly connections.
"

OK, I'll bite--do you log out/ properly close each connection after retrieving the mail for each account?

·
Registered
20,583 Posts
simonr said:
I have a mail application that picks up POP3 mail for 100 users from the internet.

After about an hour, it can no longer log in to any of the accounts.

It appears to be something about the number of open / not closed properly connections.

When I restart the PC, all is fine for about 1 hour until it starts to have the problem again.

If anybody can help it would be fantastic as I am getting a little tired of having to reboot the PC every hour.

Thanks.

Simon
Hi Simon,

The problem you are experiencing may be related to the TCP/IP parameter TCPMaxHalfOpen possibly on the mail server and/or the PCs - as you indicate rebooting the PC clears the problem local to the PC. Can you scan your registry for its value? I posted a thread about hardening TCP/IP Registry Settings in following thread:
http://forums.techguy.org/t353088.html

Check it out and try resetting at least the TCPMaxHalfOpen and TCPMaxHalfOpenRetired values on the mailserver and say one PC as a test PC (the other items would harden the server against a Denial of Service attack - a good thing to implement) to see if that helps.

-- Tom

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My bad. I should let you know that I'm using Windows 98 on this machine and that registry entry doesn't exist.

Anything else you have that may be able to help?

Simon.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
TerryNet said:
"It appears to be something about the number of open / not closed properly connections.
"

OK, I'll bite--do you log out/ properly close each connection after retrieving the mail for each account?
The program which is Kinesphere Interchange logs in and out by itself using individual user names and passwords. How it closes I don't know.

Simon

·
Registered
20,583 Posts
simonr said:
My bad. I should let you know that I'm using Windows 98 on this machine and that registry entry doesn't exist.

Anything else you have that may be able to help?

Simon.
It appears my Win98 bookmarks are somewhat obsolete, so googling may be your best answer e.g. "tcp/ip & windows 98" or something like that.

-- Tom

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.