Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I boot my computer, the task bar notification area shows icons for CA Security Center, a local area connection, and sometimes Intel PROset/wireless but that is all. If I run "Task Bar Repair Tool Plus" and select "Show all listed Tray icons," the remaining icons are displayed until the next boot. Can anyone suggest a fix for this annoying problem?

·
Registered
11,849 Posts
Welcome to TSG....

Which computer is this that this is happening?

Do you have the recovery software for thsi computer if needed?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Forgot to add that I do have original XP Pro disk and have run the repair routine without success. Doing a clean XP Pro install is not possible for a number of reasons

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
You may want to go to the link below and under the letter "N" scroll down to "Notification Area - Icons Disappearing" where you'll find a possible solution.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm

Another possible fix is try the line 54 (right column) "Save Settings on Exit" reg fix at the link below. Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it and answer yes to the import prompt.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Tufenuf

·
Banned
2,092 Posts
If this computer is networked this will probably fix the problem.

TRAY ICONS MISSING

I found a solution for me that works perfectly. I simply went to My network Places and on the left pane I chose to Hide UPnP devices. This operation does not disable the service (which I need)."

To see this choice, you have to have Tools, Folder Options, Show Common Tasks selected

·
Registered
16 Posts
UPNP. I have removed this in add and remove programs,windows, networking, to cure absent icons in notification area.(which it did.) I wonder if anyone would tell me why I might need upnp, as all seems well so far.I could not find upnp in my network places.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.