Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an external hard drive to back up on to, a Freecom FHD-2. My OS is Xp Pro SP 2
and I use Norton Internet Security 2007,Spybot and AVG anti spyware and Sophos anti root kit scan. I used to have no problem doing a backup but now I get the following error msg;
"Cannot get exclusive access to hard disk drives. Please make sure that Windows Computer Management Consol or other software that locks the hard drives are not running"
I have turned off the Norton package and my screensaver, but I am at a loss as to what or how to turn off any other software locking the drives. Can anyone help? It used to be so easy to do a back up, but now I am not able to.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
What changes have you made since your last backup?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just dont know what changes I have made since I last backed up as I have installed some programmes to try and then deleted them, but then I,ve always done this. I dont understand which programmes or applications can "lock" the hard drives. It has now been around four months since I have been able to do a full back up, and now the internal Hard drive is running slow I may soon have to replace that, and Im not looking forward to that with no current back up on my external drive.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I can now say this problem is solved. I managed to do a backup by Nero which found my external HD with no trouble. So much for the Acronis OEM whic came with my external drive.:)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes I have and out of 20gb I had 14gb free so bags of room. I just dont know why Acronis could,nt run but Nero could, anyway Im happy that I have now found a way to do a backup.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.