Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read the manual of Partition Magic v.6, it says that if the partition that contains system files is greater than 7.8 gig then it may not boot. Is it true or there is something I don't understand here?

Since I like to run many applications I like to enlarge to about 10 gig but it scare me. :eek:

·
Registered
10,254 Posts
That is a pretty old version of PM . . the 7.8 barrier is old as well . . what are the specs of the system you are working with? . . Are you preparing for reinstalling the O/S ?

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a Dell P3 733Mhz running windows 2000 and NTFS file system. Powerquest now has PM v.8 and the only function I used is resizing but I am not sure that it'll help to buy it. My computer is old but still quite good for surfing with verizon dsl. Rather save some money to buy a better computer in a near future.

I am not reinstall win2k either.

·
Registered
10,254 Posts
What model? . . you are close to the borderline of large drive support . . you can look at download for BIOS to see if there is one that enables large drive support.

I don't like to use any of the third-party partition managers . . but unless you are willing to reinstall Win2k, it's you only other option.

if you decide to do so, be double dog sure you have your data backed up and that you defrag both partitions first. Many have reported drive corruption after resizing with PM

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a Dell optiplex GX110.

I recently resized the system parttion from 5 gig ot 7.5 gig with PM w/o problem; although I had problem with PM before when I ran multiple operation systems which included some linux and freebsd. For now, I will probably leave it as is since I still have around 3 gig of free space in the partition.

What you said about the borderline of large block support confuses me a bit. I thought that win2k master boot is at the start of the partition so why the partition size has any effect on booting?

·
Registered
10,254 Posts
Older systems BIOS had a limitation on drive size . . it the drive ( partition ) was larger than the limit, it would either not boot or only recognize a part of the drive

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.