Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, I have a strange problem. I recently upgraded from an EVGA PCI Express X16 video card to a new XFX PVT98GYDLU GeForce 9800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 video card. I currently have a home built system running XP Pro SP3 with 2GB of DDR2 PC2 5400 RAM and a 550 Watt power supply installed. Everything was working fine on the system until I installed the new video card, and the card itself runs like a dream at all resolutions. The problem arises when I attempt to run a CD or DVD on my system. If I put a DVD in and try to explore the DVD or DVD, play a movie, burn to a DVD or anything the system locks up and I can't even call up task manager to end a task. If I bump the resultion down to 800x600 with 16bit color I can do some things with s CD or DVD but the system still locks when I attempt to burn a disc. I can however do anything with the system when in safe mode...burn DVDs, explore data DVDs etc.

My hypothesis is that my power supply is insufficient to properly run this card and needs to be upgraded. Does anyone concur or have an alternate theory?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.