Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm stumped with this problem. My pc was working fine, I believe my mother may have downloaded a virus but avast didn't automatically stop it so I don't think that would have anything to do with the problem. She shut the computer down for the night and the next day went to get on and when it starts up after it shows a dell splash screen saying push F2 for setup and F12 for Boot loader. it goes to a black screen that looks like some thing you ssee when the computer doesn't have an operating system. So I rebooted and hit F2, it sad entering setup and went straight to the black screen. It would not let me into bios. I decided that it may be the hard drive so I took it downstarirs to my other pc and plugged it in an I was able to browse the files on ubuntu. I thought I would test something so I grabbed the Ubuntu Live cd and put it in the computer upstairs, this time when I pushed F2 it went into bios, I set it to boot from cd and restarted, Ubuntu loaded and I am currently using it to type this post. the computer is running off of the Live cd only there is no hard drive plugged into it. Before I typed this but after the first time i got the computer to boot with ubuntu I reinstalled the hard drive. and with the computer still set to boot from cd first it went to the black screen and i could no longer get into bios untill i removed the hard drive.

The last time I booted the pc with linux after the dell splash screen it said something about the battery being low, I assume it means the cmos battery, I am not sure if that would cause the system to not boot if the hard drive is hooked up or not.

I did run clamav on the hard drive while it was connected to my ubuntu system downstairs, it found 5 things but I don't believe it was anything major.

Any help would be great. I have an available hard drive and a psu that I could try, wanted to wait to see if that was even the problem,

·
Registered
8,093 Posts
To start, replace the cmos battery, then enter the bios and set the time and date, then load default settings, save settings on exit of bios, shut down and connect the hard drive, see if it will boot now.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.