Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had my pc reformatted.....
but now when I go and put in a 700 mb movie in my d drive and when I see the name of movie, i right ck and copy and then I go to where i wanna put it ,and rt ck and ck paste, my pc drags and slows down then this error pops up.

The system cannot read from the specified device.

i have win 98 second ed. a pent 4 and 248 rams. thanks

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Usually when you get a message like that your drive is either dirty or gone bad.

What you can try to do to see if the problem is Windows related or not is get into DOS Command using a Windows 98SE boot floppy disc with CD-Rom support.

I can give you the DOS commands to attempt to copy your movie to the HD but first I need the location of the movie on the disc and where you want to put it. Is the movie in a folder or right on a disc?

It's very important you get the DOS names of the movie and the folder you wish to place it in. To do that right click properties on the movie and you'll see the DOS name on the properties box.

Do the same thing with the folder on the HD where you want put the movie.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Hi,

Where on the hard drive is the MYDOWN~1 folder, for example is it in your Program Files folder?

Before attempting to do this though have you tried copying something else off the drive from another disk and gotten the same results?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi,
The folder is under my program files folder.
Yes, I have tried many and it goes all the way to like 30 secs left , and freezes up and says what i wrote in the beginning. I have cleaned the drive too. Cd rom drive. that doesnt work either.
before my pc crash and it was reformatted. I could copy and paste and do many other things and pc was fine and dandy.now it isnt right..... with copy and paste.
Now I can copy and paste a smaller movie , like 400 mb but when i wanna copy a big one like 700 mb then it does what i wrote. thanks

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
If you're able to copy a 400mb movie but not the 700mb one then most likely the disk with the larger movie is corrupted and the drive can't read it properly. But we can still try to copy it using DOS commands, it could be something else.

Restart your computer with the Windows 98SE boot floppy in the drive and press 1 for CD-Rom support. Also make sure the disk with the movie is in the CD-Rom drive. When it gets to the A:\ prompt type:

E: [enter]

At the E:\ prompt type:

copy THER#085.AVI c:\MYDOWN~1 [enter]

See if that works. If it does it will say 1 file copied.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I still have 50.8 gb of space peft. I have a 60 gb drive.and 20 gb on my second drive.

I have tried to copy more than this one movie, they all do the same thing.
Ok, let me try what you said to do. will let ya know soon. thanks

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Now I know there is something really wrong here.

ok, i went and booted up from a startup diskwin98 se and press 1 for cd rom support and it went thru whatever it does but it did bring up 2 things. one said - there is a corrupt file ASP18U2.SYS also i caught something that said - there is an error in your configuration files,, that is all i could read, it went thru so fast.
I tried to do it again - - booted up from a startup diskwin98 se and press 1 for cd rom support - - - but it wouldnt put out the info it did the first time....
how do I check to see what files are corrupt in my configuration files?
also i looked for the system file name there under windows/sys and i dont see this - ASP18U2.SYS .. so how do I go about doing all this first, cause untill i do this i cant do the copy thing....
I did go to my system tools and system information and ran a check system files and it didnt caught that name. so now what do I do. thanks all

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Ok I was going to suggest that you have an ASPI layer problem, that is often the cause of CD-Rom troubles with communication.

Download this ASPI checker on the link below and click on it, that should verify if your ASPI layer is intact. For a freshly installed 98SE I do not believe it is:

ftp://ftp.adaptec.com/software_pc/aspi/aspichk.exe

If it is not properly installed, which it will say (there should be a total of 4 files) you can install the 4.60 layer, which is on my 98SE and is considered Ataptec's best version. You can get that here:

http://clonecd.gearhost.net/clonecd/forceASPI17.zip

It comes in a zip folder so you will need to extract the files to a folder. You should create one in Program Files where they will stay permanently. To install the 4.6 layer follow the instructions from here:

http://radified.com/ASPI/forceaspi.htm

After doing that check to see if you still have copy problems.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Also after you get your 4.6 ASPI layer installed go to Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System Information and open your System File Checker and run that. It should prompt you to replace any corrupt files you might have on your system.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i installed the 2 things you said and ran them.. there were missing file there called.apix.vxd
and i ran the other program and it installed all and then i ran the aspichr again and all was well.
again. I tried to copy a large movie and no go.
right at the last 25 seconds it slowwwwwwssssss down to a crawl then the error above as i mentioned.....

also i ran the system file checker and it doesnt catch the missing file that i was telling you about.....
so this is gonna be a tuff one guys.
I do have a program called total commander, but do not know how to use it at all.
i will post this in another post. thanks.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Well you can try two more things: with your movie disk in the d:\drive open up a MS-Dos Prompt window from Start Menu\Programs and type in the following command:

D: [enter]

copy THER#085.AVI c:\MYDOWN~1 [enter]

If it fails to copy note the message that it puts up. Sometimes you can get a little more information that way.

The other thing to try is switch the CD-ROM drive to DMA mode. By default that should be off if you just reinstalled 98SE. Go to MY Computer and right click properties. On the Device Manager tab look for your CD-ROM drive then right click its properties. You'll see a settings tab where you can enable DMA. Reboot and then try copying.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok, did all that and nothing.....
This is what i did..
i tired what you said no message appeared and it still didnt work. the dma was checked thou. so i am at my witends and

I tried to format
i put in
A:\format c:/s
then when it said you will lost all data yes r no, i put y
well
i couldnt even format my pc cause it said this.
Insufficient memory to load system files.. format terminated.
also there were many errors in many lines in the congifurations files it said. like line 15,16,17,18,31
and also said this
warning: high memory area HMA is not avaible, we will use low memory..
anyways i got out of it real quick.

I think a lot of my problems are in the configuration files. so now how do I go about checking to see what all lines need to be fix up...
can i do in dos and if I can, How? step by step please.
I need a know if I can print out all errors in config and memory. thanks

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
The first thing to do is disable DMA then and reboot if that's not the problem.

What software did you use to burn your movies to disk, and is what you have a CDRW or just a CD-ROM? What's the brand name, it could possibly be a driver problem.

Btw, you want to reinstall Windows 98SE, that sounds like what you were attempting to do. If so let me know I can help you with that.

Based on the corrupt files and other problems you're running into that's probably the way to go if you have the time and all the software you'll want to put back.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
glad you replyed, I been waiting... yes, i want to reformat myself. I am getting tired of paying this man 35 bucks...

I am on this page right now, doing all this stuff, but if you got a easier way to do it, then sure i will take all the help you will give me. please note, i have never formatted before. I do have a startup disk and a copy of win98 se .

http://www.lurkhere.com/boot600.html

I will keep checking this post every few mins. thanks

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
If you want to reinstall Windows I would not advise reformatting the hard drive because of the possible difficulty you might have copying files from your CD-Rom.

MY suggestion is to do this to cover yourself so you can at least get back into Windows should the reinstall not work: shut your computer completely down and reboot with the 98SE Start Up disk in the floppy drive. Press 1 for CD-Rom support. At the A:\ prompt type:

C: [enter]

Then enter these commands:

ren Windows Windows.old [enter]
ren Progra~1 Program.old [enter]

When that's done with Windows 98SE in the D drive at the A:\ prompt type setup. When it asks you what directory to put in make sure it's in a new Windows folder.

After it reinstalls and boots back up you can then safely delete the Windows.old and Program.old folders as they won't be needed anymore. I should be here for an hour or two longer if you have any questions.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
nope, not a go...
i could not install windows again. it kept says clean cd. i cleaned it over and over, and I mess up by naming the windows. old. took me over an hr to get it back...
what a mess i had.
can win xp be put on here?
this doesnt solves all the configurations errors thou. any help on that.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.