Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can i let java quick starter service acess my sygate personal firewall or should i block it in running applications?also what about nt kernel and system???should i or can i allow that?

·
Registered
15,479 Posts
I found this explanation on Java Quick Starter Service here:

http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/guides/jweb/otherFeatures/jqs.html

From that explanation, I think JQS should not be accessing the outside world.

I could not remember if I allowed the kernel or system when I had XP. I only use my system to surf. Apart from that, I make sure that my Windows can perform Windows update, and can query the time server to keep the clock running.( control panel, date and time, internet tab ) Try disabling kernel and system and see if you can still do these 3 things. And if not, enable one by one and re-test.

From my security perspective, I don't care if a component was originally designed to talk to the internet; if I don't use it, then it can be disabled.

·
Trusted Advisor
85,515 Posts
Sygate Personal Firewall is years outdated. If you're going to use a third-party firewall, you should find a more current one. If I recall, the last version released was 5.6.2808.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Every time you install or update Sun Java Runtime Environment, it puts a jusched startup entry in the startup list and a Java Quick Starter service entry in the services list. Neither one needs to load during startup and run in the background.

------------------------------------------------------------------

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.