Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am new to Linux and I am trying to install SuSE Linux on GXPRO 200 Dell PC. It currently has Win98Se on it. I have not partitioned the drive. I have down loaded the SuSE boot floppies and Network module #3. I am able to get the booting started, get the network card recognized and even start the download from the FTP server. It downloads a file then starts up YaST. I get to the point where it says “YaST2 Analyzing Partition. One moment please”. Then its game over – the PC just hangs. I have tried it three or four times from different mirrored FTP servers. I have even left it for about 12 hours hoping it was doing something but never recovers. Any suggestions??? Does it get better from here???

(syap)

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Are you trying to create a dual-boot setup? If you are then you should resize the windows partition to make room for the install of Linux and let Yast2 find the free unallocated space left from the resize. How big is that drive? You need to leave 3-4 GB free. And isnt that a Pentium Pro system?
lynch

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was just hoping the install would take care of the disk allocation. I have now partitioned half the harddrive for the SuSE install. The new partition is ACTIVE. The Hard is 20 GB and SuSE has 10 GB available. I tried the install again and the exact same thing. It gets to the “YaST2 Analyzing Partition. One moment please” then the PC just hangs. Yes the PC is Pentium Pro 200 system.

(syap)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.