Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all im running suse 10 on 3 computers,the problem is this i have only just installed suse and when i ssh from my laptop to a second computer called compaq i get this error message.
"[email protected]:~> ssh [email protected]
buffer_get_ret: trying to get more bytes 4 than in buffer 0
buffer_get_int: buffer error
[email protected]:~>

I only got this message after changing my ip address on compaq so i am guessing this error is some kind of authetication problem.Now after doing some reading i believe there is a file called "known_hosts" which could be the problem.
I can still ssh from compaq to my laptop,i just can not ssh from laptop to compaq.Thanks Nige

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ok i changed my ip back to what it was and now i can ssh from my laptop to compaq,but only as root.If i try to ssh in to a user as in the example above i get the same error message.nd just for the record i found that file here. "~/.ssh/known_hosts"
Anyway i can ping from my laptop the username on compaq so i guess that rules out dns issue.Ill have another look in the ssd_config see if tere is something there.
THanks Nige.

·
Retired Trusted Advisor
19,786 Posts
You might want to look into securing your SSH server. Never good practice to allow remote login to a Linux server as ROOT. That is why they have the Substitute User (SU) and SUDO commands.

Linux can be just as vulnerable as Windows if you don't take precautions to harden your system security!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.