Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have all of a sudden begun to have some problems with my Home Network. It has been up and running for about 18 months with no problems. I am using a Linksys wired router and have a DSL internet service. I used the Networking Wizard to set up my Network. I have two XP Home machines and one 98 Second Edition machine. After the initial Network was set up I had to do some additional tweaking with the 98 SE machine. This was done with the help of another tech support site. The only new software I have added to any of the machines was the free version of Zone Labs ZoneAlarm Firewall. This was installed onto only ONE of the machines; A Dell Laptop with XP Home. I learned that I would need to put the IP addresses of the other two machines in the Trusted Zone in order for those two machines to be able to access shared files on the laptop. I did this and everything was fine. All shared files and peripherals were accessible by all of the machines. About two weeks later, things began to go wrong. I will also mention that I run AV Software and Spybot Search and Destroy on a regular basis for Internet Security and am very careful with my email habits and surfing habits. I also keep all of the PC’s updated with Windows Update. I have not installed SP2 on the XP machines yet. They both have SP1.

This is the current situation. One XP Desktop machine can be seen by the other two machines but it can not be accessed by either one. When I click on it from within My Network Places on the XP Laptop, this is what I see. “\\Tiffanyatangie is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access Permissions.
Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon at this computer.” Tiffanyatangie is the name of the XP Desktop. When I click on Tiffanyatangie (XP Desktop) from within Network Neighborhood on the 98 SE machine, this is the Box that I get. Enter “Network Password
Resource: \\Tiffanyatangie
Password: Text Box to type in.
Checkbox Save this password in your password list.”
The box that I just described also comes on when I start my 98 SE machine. I get this message sometimes when I shutdown the 98 SE machine. There are 1 user(s) connected to your computer. If you shutdown they will be disconnected. Do you want to continue? This box and the other boxes I described have never come up before.

I should mention that the only usernames that have been setup on any of the machines is for both XP machines. There are 3 accounts set up on the XP Laptop. There are two accounts set up on the XP Desktop. None of these accounts on either one of the XP machines has ever had a password created to be able to log on to them. Concerning Password and Logging on with the 98 SE machine. I can’t remember how things were set up originally when I first go this machine. It was my first PC and there were a lot of things I didn’t understand. If I click on START, I can see that there is something on there that says “Log Off GTWILSON”. I am assuming that at some point in time I had to somehow log on to begin with, but whether I had a password associated with logging on I can’t remember. Since I am the only user, I have never Logged off and it probably wouldn’t be a very good idea to try that now since I am unsure of the password situation. When I finish working with the 98 SE machine I have always just shut it down. In short, I have never had to supply a password for accessing any Network Resource on anything. After I boot, I log on with the XP machines and all of the resources have been there. I am the only user on the 98SE machine and when I boot, I don’t have to log on and all of the resources have been there. (Until now)

I have told what is not working. I will now tell you what is working. XP Laptop from 98 SE. Everything is fine. 98SE from XP Laptop. Everything is fine. XP Laptop and 98SE from XP Desktop (Tiffanyatangie). Everything is fine. Note that XP Desktop (Tiffanyatangie) is the machine I can’t access from either one of the other machines, even though I can access the other machines from it. Incidentally, Internet access on all machines is fine. I have read information on several forums and have picked up on a few things to check for. One thing I saw on a few posts was making the entire C drive shareable. (At least that is what I understood it to mean). I have never made the entire C drive of any of the machines shareable; only individual folders and printers. I didn’t want everything accessible. All computers have the same workgroup; MSHOME. All machines have different names. It appears that all of the networking protocols are still there. I have pinged all machines by IP address and by name. There are still shareable resources on the problem machine.

I am at a loss. I can’t see or think of anything different that has changed or been done to bring on this behavior. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Greg

·
Super Moderator
82,234 Posts
Unless firewall settings got messed up on Tiffanyatangie, in spite of all your care there is likely corruption on the machine that cannot be accessed (Tiffanyatangie).

Do whatever you must to make sure firewall is not the problem.

A couple folks were able to fix this with a rather simple registry edit; see the last post in this thread: http://forums.techguy.org/t365294.html

An earlier post in that thread references some other problems similar to yours. In particular you will see various things that were done to try to find or fix the problem.

Good luck, and let us know how you make out, and if we can help further.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello TerryNet, Thank you very much for your reply. I have briefly looked over some of the information and have followed some links that were provided to other information. However, I am having trouble with one link it is (http://forums.techguy.org/t322238.html). It brings me back to the page where all of the different forums are listed. (Perhaps that is what it is supposed to do). I was thinking it would bring me to a thread that was more specific to what we are trying to do. I tried to search for it. I typed in the number 322238, but no matches were found. I was hoping to find it so I could have even more information to try. I am going to try to put in practice the ideas I saw, but don't know when. I will post back after I try. Perhaps you could check back from time to time and see what is happening.
Thanks
Greg

·
Super Moderator
82,234 Posts
Sorry, Greg, I don't have the slightest idea why that link didn't go to the thread numbered t322238. Same thing happened to me just now. Try ...

Search (at top of page) - Advanced.

Search for posts by "wolfworx" in the "Networking" forum. I just did this and found 4 threads; the one you want has last date of 22 May, and is titled "Network Problem: What am I overlooking?".

Most days I check in at least once, so as long as you keep posting I'll be reading.

Terry

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Terry, I have a lot of things to look over and try, but I am going to sign off for now. I have been working on this problem quite a bit all of this week and last week and I have swept under the rug several other nonrelated matters that I need to take care of. I will get back ASAP.
Thanks
Greg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello Terry,
I have had a chance to try a few things I found from your last post. First of all though, tiffanyatangie does not have a firewall except for the one that came with the OS and it is turned off. Did a comparison on the Registry thing between XP (laptop)that works and tiffanyatangie (taa). The values were different as suggested by the other guys information. Laptop had a 0 value and taa had a value of 1. I changed taa to 0, restarted all machines. Nothing has changed. Everything same as before. I checked the thing about shared folders in Computer Management and did a comparison. The references with the $ signs were the same on each machine. They both had IPC$ and print$. The only differences were each one had the names of the individual shares listed for the respective machine. I checked the Registry again after I saw there was no change and it still had the new value I assigned. (0)

I have read the posts from the links you sent me. Seems pretty involved. I don't know if I am up to some of that stuff. I will read them more carefully and maybe i can apply some of it. I hope I can find something simpler and more obvious. By the way, concerning the Guest Account. I have never had a Guest account set up on anything. Next chance I get I am going to shutdown everything. Modem and router included and restart, since I changed the Registry values. Who knows? Any thought or comments?
Greg

·
Super Moderator
82,234 Posts
"I am going to shutdown everything. Modem and router included and restart".

Good idea. Hope it does the trick for you. If not, it may be decision time:
a. live with "one-way" network;
b. backup file, format/reinstall and all the fun of installing programs.

Good luck.

·
Registered
86 Posts
probably not the solution..BUT I found I simply had to turn of Zone Alarm whenever I wanted to access my other pcs and mac on my home network. Despite adding them to my trusted zone my Zone akarm wouldn't let anything talk!!
Switched it off and bingo...!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello,
Charliesmomu, I tried that and didn't work. Wish it could have been that simple. The firewall was on one of the machines that was OK anyway. Terrynet, shutting down everything did not work. Not looking forward to the alternative (reformat and reinstall) especially since I don't have the XP disc that came with tiffanyatangie. Machine came with my wife from a divorce. No Xp disc, no printer discs, no scanner discs. Guess I'll keep trying and eventually do something.
Thanks!
Greg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.