Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I am on my first month of my first mac and so know zilch. I am trying to install stuffit as I have a .sitx file to open. The instructions are to drag it to the apps folder which I do, but I end up with a .dmg file that if I click on shows a read me file. I'm stumped. Its a genuine copy and is from the website so is definitely the right file.

Its a macbook running osx 10.4.8
:eek:

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
The .dmg file is a disk image. If you double-click on it you will find that it creates a "virtual" disk upon your desktop, wherein you will (likely) find the actual installer for the application. Double-click it, jump through whatever hoops it requires (probably giving your password), and get along with life.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
A disk image will open as though it were any other mounted disk. The contents therein may be opened (or openable) by any number of applications. Are you sure you're double-clicking on a disk image and that is what is being opened as a text file? That would be mightily odd, but if the OS cannot figure out what else to do with the file that is a possibility, I suppose.

Try right-clicking (or option-clicking) the .dmg file and selecting Open With "DiskImageMounter."

If this option does not appear then there is likely something wrong with (a) the disk image; (b) your copy of the installed OS; or (c) both.

The result of this should be a disk on the desktop, just as if you had another hard drive, had inserted a CD or DVD with data on it, a flash drive, et cetera. If this is not the case the likely option is (a) above. But (b) and (c) remain possibilities.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.