Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure where to begin... I guess I should start with the fact that the computer in question is not mine, it is my friends, who is a complete illiterate when it comes to operating anything on the comp (let alone technical questions), so my knowledge of the machine (and what has been done with it) is limited.

The problem we are having is one that seems to be common amongst vista users, looping restart stuck on installing update 3 of 3. I came across this site(many thanks to all of you for your assistance to all of us less knowledgable), and subsequently the microsoft fix here:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949358.

I went with method #2, as I don't have the original OS disc anywhere in sight(and he doesn't know if it came with the machine or not). For some reason, the machine wouldn't start in any form of safe mode, but I was able to revert to a restore point via the "repair your computer" option on the "advanced boot options" page. I chose the most recent restore point, which was a basic scheduled restore point(8-16), and let it do its thing. Restart afterward, and then it wouldn't even begin to boot at all, going directly to the Start-up repair program.

It recomended reverting to a restore point, so I did it again, going back to the furthest point, which was created when SP2 was installed(8-9). Still no luck starting up, right back to the startup repair program. It asked to send a report, which I did, so I browsed through the log. It went through all its tests, and reported one root cause, which I will report as it was presented: log: found one root cause: boot critical file c:\windows\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe is corrupt; repair action: file repair; result: completed successfully; error code: 0x0.

It says the repair was completed successfully, but it still will not boot and I can't get past the startup repair. I am completely confused, any help I can get with this problem would be much appreciated.

Machine: eMachines W3653 desktop

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply... funny things is I did that this morning, downloaded the torrent client, then the imgburn program to burn the iso file onto a dvd, and booted from the disk. Ran startup repair from the disk(even though I have done it multiple times from the existing utility on the comp itself), and still the same thing. I'm trying to do all I can to save his files, as he doesn't have anything backed up, of course. But it is looking more and more like I'm going to have to do a clean install.

Incidentely, in the many times I have run startup repair since the time it reported the corrupt kernel file in the repair log, it hasn't reported it again, so I must assume that isn't part of the issue any longer. It just keeps reporting that it can't find the problem, but when I boot from the disc, it reports that the OS booted normally.

I am going to contact eMachines to see what kind of support they can give me.

Is there any way I can take out his hard drive and try to recover his files to another computer? All I have available as far as another machine is a compaq presario f700 laptop.

·
Registered
7,889 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I have some experience with Ubuntu Hardy Heron, actually on this same machine that is having this current problem. The older gentleman has a friend who is an avid linux user and suggested he use ubuntu because, obviously, he loathes windows. Problem is that the so called older gentlman is, as i said before, not tech savvy, and has a brother printer... anyone who knows, brother and ubuntu dont get along that well. I think I will go with that suggestion, I appreciate the advice.

I just got done with MS, they were less than helpful and suggested I take it to a tech shop for recovery... I think there will be a major class action suit coming from this issue, as the vast majority of people won't even attempt to fix this kind of problem themselves.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the saga continues... I've got ubuntu 9.04 burned on a dvd, the machine boots from it, i mounted the hard drive with ease, now I cant figure out how to connect the two comps together. I'm stuck on what to enter in the fields in the "connect to server:windows share" window. I've tried the name of my laptp that i want to connect to, and so on down the line. It keeps coming back with a message saying that it can't mount. I joined the forum at the site that the intructions came from, and asked them whats up, but they haven't gotten back to me yet. I dont know what to do from here, and it's very frustrating because i am so close. and the screwed up thing is that it's only 5gb of info I have to move, and the only available portable memory i have is a 2gb sd card, without a card reader in my laptop. aaaaaarrrrrgggghhhhh!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for your help, Joe. I didn't figure anyone here would know about the linux issue, and the guys at that how-to geek forum didn't ever reply to my question. I used the memory card, it took forever, but it worked. The comp is now up and running.

·
Deceased
3,850 Posts
hi if my son had been around at the time i would have asked him he is quite handy with linux stuff in comparisson to me, anyway glad you got it sorted.also i should have mentioned if you check under the software tab at the top of the page you will see a link to the linux forum here

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.