Tech Support Guy banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed via network this a.m. on my win10 laptop. The device info says it is installed and ready to receive my files. When I happily say, PRINT -- it gives me an error. It shows up in the print que but as an error.

Also, when I say print on my win7 desktop, a few lines come out -- mostly a blank page. The black ink is pretty full -- the colored is almost empty. Would this matter?
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi and thanks -- I am not sure about the drivers. I thought when I said "add device" that would bring the drivers along -guess not. It is set as the default printer. When I opened the HP Smart program it says it is ready. When I say Print, it does nothing. Settings - devices & scanners - says it is offline. I guess I need to find the drivers. Where do I go to find the drivers -- thanks again.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did download that. This morning I logged on to admin. When I click on hp smart to select printer, it says Offline - It is NOT offline. It is ON. What do I have to do to get this thing installed? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
44,269 Posts
Typically when it shows Offline, it means the computer does not see the printer on the network.

Personally I don't like HP Smart app because, well, it's not that smart. I prefer the old fashion way.

Can you print out the configuration or network page from the printer directly and see what the IP address is of the printer?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Typically when it shows Offline, it means the computer does not see the printer on the network.

Personally I don't like HP Smart app because, well, it's not that smart. I prefer the old fashion way.

Can you print out the configuration or network page from the printer directly and see what the IP address is of the printer?
I have this number in the file so it must be it: 192.168.223.1

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree with smart not so smart. Anyway, I have had nothing but problems with this printer from day one. I have it installed via usb - so I have turned off the wireless icon on the printer. Is that correct?
Thanks for any help.

·
Super Moderator
44,269 Posts
I don't think the printer is configured correctly for the network. I had the same issue with my HP printer where it just lost it's config and had something similar. Assuming you haven't changed your home wireless network information, your home computers should be 192.168.0.x or 192.168.1.x (and sometimes starts with 10.)

If you are looking to print via USB and there is no other computers needing connectivity, then that would be fine. Once you do that, I would remove the printer queues and run the Smart App one more time to ensure that it's installing via USB and not WiFi.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
On my win10 laptop, I removed the device - I did Add device -- it automatically printed out the wi-fi Direct Pin - clear as a bell - Then I tried to print a line of xxxxx's -- it printed about 4 of them and faded to nothing.
Tried printing a test page - nothing on the page it spit out.
If I connect the printer via usb it will not be on network, right? I will have to print from desktop where printer is installed. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Also, I ran HP print doctor - it see it from laptop but then it says it can't communicate. This should not be so difficult. I don't know what the heck I'm doing wrong. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There are function keys on the printer itself. When you press them, they spit out instructions for various processes. When I press them, they do the function but nothing prints on the page. Is this a mechanical rather than a mistake in configuration? There is black ink in printer but color shows low amount. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
44,269 Posts
Well if you are printing a report/instructions from the printer directly and not from your computer and there is no toner/ink on the page, then yes it is a mechanical issue at this point.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I thought it would have to be. Now here is the rub - I was able to print from the computer that wi-fi direct pin # . Then as I said, I tried to print a line of xxx's and got about 3 and then it faded. If it is a mechanical issue, probably no fix, eh? For me anyway. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes, thanks. I went to the desktop where it is installed with the usb. I uninstalled it and will see if I can re-install. I will also change the ink toner to see if that works.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I was browsing how to connect your printer to your network -- it says to refer to the manufacturers manual to see how to do this. How to connect it to your network. This is confusing. When I say "add printer or device" doesn't it find my network automatically?

·
Super Moderator
44,269 Posts
I was browsing how to connect your printer to your network -- it says to refer to the manufacturers manual to see how to do this. How to connect it to your network. This is confusing. When I say "add printer or device" doesn't it find my network automatically?
You would need to have the printer connect to the wireless connection first before you can find it via Add Printer or Device.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts