Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have been searching for a while to find some reliable forums for the times when i get stuck on a computer issue so obscure that even my best friend google can not help me. I searched and this site seems to be the best of the best out there of the freebies so i figured i would try it out.

The issue i have is with a laptop running Windows Vista Buisness(HP Compaq 6710b 1GB ram, Pentium Core2 Duo 2.00GHz, 102GB hard drive). The issues are multiple and obscure and may be a single issue solution or a multitude of solutions.

When the computer starts up and gets to the login screen, you have to hit Ctrl-Alt-Del to "login". At this point if that command is not given within 2 seconds or so then the system will take a while untill it will allow you to get to the next screen (varies from 1-5mins), almost like it is 'stuck' there but not frozen since the mouse CAN move.

Next issue is with outlook and its seriously bad delay times. This computer does get outlook though a corporate network but that is not the issue since the other laptops and desktops do not have any problems. Some emails that are sent to this computer get recieved late. I am not talking about a few minuits i mean they are recieved well over a day or two late by the time stamp. When the computer is disconnected and taken home, then reconnected the next day it will recieve emails from around noon the day before or sometimes even further back. The settings are set so that outlook checks every 5 minuits. Additionally this is not the case with every email, just 1 or 2 each day out of about 10-20 that are sent to this PC. I see no common trend or relation between the ones that are delayed. Also as stated above out of all the 100+ computers on the network, 4 others running vista as well, this is the only one with this issue.

Finally there was an issue earlier today where the computer completely locked up out of nowhere, just went to screen saver, and the screen saver even froze. All that was going on in behind was Outlook, and some simple buisness applications (such as Microsoft Word 2003 etc).

Any help on thse issues would be much appreciated, but are by no means critical or rush problems and can be managed without a solution, since they are more so annoyances then anything.

Thank you in advance

-sleroux

·
Trusted Advisor
17,571 Posts
Do you have a Login script that is running to login to the company network?

Is this the ONLY Vista machine in the company?

If not what is different with this one from the other Vista machines?

·
Registered
45,855 Posts
Start by posting a HijackThis scanlog so we can see whatall you have running.

Download and install HijackThis. Run it and select "do a system scan and save the log file". Then copy/paste the contents of the log to a reply

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download5554.html

>> Next open the Control Panel > Performance Information and Tools > Advanced and see if any problems are flagged there regarding boot degradation or other issues.

Have a look in the Event Viewer at the System and Application logs for repeating errors on every startup.

>> For Outlook problems it may be best to have a separate thread in the Business section or Web and Email rather than try to combine them here.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey guys thanks for the replys

As stated above this is NOT the only vista computer on the network, there are 4 or 5 others, and there is a very small script at login, but it is nothing but a simple .bat to map the network drive. As for what is different about this computer then the others, there is nothing that i can tell except for a perhaps a few settings the user had changed, nothing of great importance from what i can tell though that pertains to the login.

It is not possible to put in another gig of ram although i would love to, the computer is a company laptop.

I will grab HijackThis and post a log here later in the weekend when i get some personal time with the computer, and i will take a quick look at the Performance Information and Tools later tonight to see if anything obvious pops up.

Additionally i will create a new thread pertaining to the outlook issue when i get a little more free time, perhaps in both the Buisness and Web and Email since it could be a problem from either end.

Thanks again will post back in a few hours

-sleroux

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.