Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks...
If I'm posting this in the wrong place, please just move it over and let me know.

I'd like to accomplish the items below and I'm wondering if anyone can point me to a step-by-step link or even offer me a custom one here. I can obtain model numbers if necessary (I'm at work, PCs are at home).

Current equipment:
1 Dell Dimension with WinXP
2 Compaq Presarios (one with XP, the other with Win98)
1 Wireless Router
1 Westell Modem (we have DSL thru Verizon)
Microsoft Office 2003
Roxio 6
Other "standard" software (latest Adobe download, etc.)
Multiple Printers/Scanneres: 1 "good" and the rest "OK"
2 PCs that can be Frankensteined for parts or to house memory, etc.

If I don't have it listed above, I need a recommendation on what to purchase (for example, I know that I'll need the wireless network parts for the upstairs units since I only have the one router)

Goals:
Refresh all 3 computers (i.e. remove all of my personal data and reset the computers as if they were new.] Should only have WinXP, MS Office, Roxio and anything else that they "must" have to function properly. [NOTE: I do know how to reinstall WinXP and its related drivers on the Dell unit...I believe that this will accomplish part of my goal to refresh the unit.]

Wireless network where Dell is main computer (downstairs) and Compaqs are in upstairs rooms. Dell has access to all (DSL, printers, etc.) no matter upstairs or downstairs. Compaqs have access to all EXCEPT for Internet (would like to set up e-mail only access thru Outlook if possible).

I know it's long but I think I'm making some sense. THANKS!

·
Banned
24,388 Posts
Unless you have three licenses for Roxio and Office, you can't put those apps on all the computers.

With using a wireless router, there is no "main" computer. All have equal standing on the network. As for disabling Internet access on one computer, I believe I saw a couple of threads here on that. It's not a common task, and it's not intuitive, so you'll have to do some searching and / or waiting for someone to respond with details.

I don't know what you mean by "would like to set up e-mail only access thru Outlook if possible". Do you want all computers to share the same e-mail account? They all can't use Outlook unless each has a license.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi there...thanks for the assistance. Let me try to clarify things.

1. I am aware that I'll need to obtain additional licenses/keys where applicable.
2. The internet and Outlook questions actually go hand in hand. I will look around for the Internet disabling options you describe. As far as the Outlook part goes, I want the upstairs computers to be able to receive e-mail through Outlook (I think it's called POP but I'm not sure) but I don't want them to have internet access (a la Internet Explorer).

Hope that helps splain things better.

Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.