Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, My sons pc which run windows 98 always starts up and mostly goes into safe mode, on the times it boots ok, it will work for about an hour and then restart's it's self into safe mode, no software has been added, an extra stick of ram was added 3 weeks ago, but all ran well up to 2 days ago, have checked that all cables are on and not loose cards etc. Also no error messages or bios beeps

could someone point me in the right direction please

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Download a program like speedfan and watch the temperature of things, see if they rise a lot before it reboots. If not then it could be a memory problem.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
blues_harp28 said:
Hi..Try..start>run>type>msconfig>advanced>remove check mark..enable start up menu or boot menu..
Check your instructions even I don't get those.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
blues_harp28 said:
Hi..msconfig..click on advanced..uncheck enable start up menu..
I guess we have different versions of msconfig. If you have 98 maybe that's the problem.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Can't argue with someone whose been there before. Lemme fire up my Windows 98 computer (The Rock) and see if we can't get that 25 seconds down.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the replys, I will use all tips, hopefully one will sort out problem,

If it is the ram, would the errors started as soon as it was fitted.

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
THough 98 can handle 512Mb ram it is most stable with only 256Mb installed. After 256Mb there is where you get instability problems.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.