Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently upgraded the hard drive on my computer from a 5200rpm drive to a much needed 7200 80gig maxtor. When I start up the computer and click my user name, windows xp professional logs me in and the first item to load is my norton (with an exclamation point).....none of my other tasks in the toolbar load...and the computer is kind of paused....i timed it to last 45 seconds..and then suddenly the screen refreshes/all my tasks load. I cant seem to figure out why there is such a pause. The only start up items I am allowing (via msconfig) are for the anti virus software and a dialer for my verizon dsl connection.

Here are my stats:
Xp professional with sp1
512mb of ram (minus 32mb for video card memory)
amd athlon 1.53ghz processor
maxtor 80gig hdd with 8mb cache

any help/suggestions would be appreciated. I scanned using lavasoft for spyware and didnt find anything..nor did i find any viruses

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's symantec antivirus corporate edition..and I never saw what the exclamation said. The virus software loads fine..but once again..there's this strange pause for like 30 sec. And now, it's not even displaying my dialer....Maybe it's just a software error? With the hardware I have, it shouldnt take me 30 seconds to log in after the computer reaches the welcome screen

·
Registered
7,235 Posts
Norton will on alot of occassions load up with an ! until it is fully loaded so I would not be too worried. What I would do is this. Go to strart run and tyope in msconfig. WIthin MSCONFIG uncheck thel oad startup items and reboot see if the pause goes away if it does then something in the startup is causing it to pause. go back to msconfig reenable the load startup go to the startup tab and startp laying with what it loads on startup.

Soon you will find the culprit to the slow down (I would not be suprised if it is norton causing the pause).

Oh yeah and corperate edition may be pointed to a managed server EASILY delaying bootup.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So then what do I do? Disable virus protection and hope all is well? THe pause is quite annoying. I have eliminated everything in msconfig except my online dialer and norton

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.