Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please remind me how to disable programs that automatically startup whenever the computer boots up. These are the programs that usually have an icon on the left section of the task bar. where do I go to disable some of these.
Thanks

· Registered
2,827 Posts
Some require you disable them from within the actual application. Most can be disabled by going to Start>Run, type 'msconfig', hit [Enter] and go to the Startup tab. If you have any questions about what to uncheck, let us know.

· Registered
8,064 Posts
Welcome to TSG!!

angel is spot on, if you are running Win98. It might even work with ME, but I don't know that OS. It will not work for Win95.

If her suggestion does not work for you, post back with your OS.

· Registered
2,827 Posts
Sorry I didn't mention that. It works in 98, ME, and XP.
Msconfig was not included with Windows 95, however it does work if you have someone send you the file.

· Registered
62,561 Posts
Do you mean the shortcuts in the Quick Launch Toolbar?

They are just shortcut and you can drag them off the bar.
If you don't want any of the shortscuts the right click a blank stop in the Quick Launch Toolbar area and click close.

See image here.

Attachments

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your responses about disabling items that startup with the computer. However, I am running WIN 2000 and typing msconfig in "Run" doesn't work (it doesn't bring up the sys config utility window). It works with '98.

· Registered
2,059 Posts
MSCONFIG in Windows 2000? By WebTechGeek. If you like using "MSCONFIG" in Windows 98. And you want to use it in Windows 2000, There's no "MSCONFIG" in win2000, But you can control what services start up automatically in Windows 2000. You need to find a small program called Services; there's usually a link to it in the Administrative Tools folder. To disable a service, all you have to do is right-click on it. It'll take a minute, but it shouldn't be too hard to set up services to start automatically, manually, or not at all. Easy!

from WebTechGeek

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.