Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i use both AdAware and Spybot alternately every week or so. Adaware always picks up about a dozen or so spyware,but Spybot does not pick out any,and congrtulates me for not having any.
any explanation? thanks.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Adware always manages to find something. Sometimes rather poor Harry type listing or logging files but it will turn up something, even if your system is totally squeeky clean.

I usually run CCleaner, Ki-Washer and a Cookie Manager before running Spybot or Adware just to get all the low class stuff out of the way, those runs go very quick. The Cookie Manager allows me to keep exactly the cookies I want and totally wipe all others. Spybot normally finds nothing, Adware will just about always find some sort of listing type file, maybe just to show it can. :D

It is good to clean with something like CCleaner, Ki-Washer and a Cookie Manager at least once a day. I usually run them twice, once just after any heavy work and just before shutdown. Again Ki-Washer will get stuff CCleaner will miss.

Nothing does everything or finds everything, you need them all. Same with BitDefender, Trend Micro and Panda, they all tend to find things the others don't and are good at particular areas each to its own.

What is a bit difficult to find is a good general purpose Registry cleaner. I still haven't found one I like or totally trust.

·
Gone but never forgotten
9,803 Posts
Like you say no matter whatever you run it will find something or other,but I do trust adaware and Spybot,I think Spybot is just that bit more sophisticated and it only finds real threats,have you tried Microsoft's offering yet? its still only Beta but I have had no problems at all with it,you can get it here http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
telecom69 said:
have you tried Microsoft's offering yet? its still only Beta but I have had no problems at all with it,you can get it here http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx
Is that supposed to be a freebie in its final form or what???

Somehow I don't really trust MS, they might turn out to be the biggest spy of all. Uncle Bill is getting very into this my system reporting way to much, way too often. Plus MS always seems to be a dollar short and a hour late in the critical areas.

You notice the

This download is available to customers running genuine Microsoft Windows. Please click Continue to begin Windows validation

Be wanting to pat down my jockey shorts next to see if I have any stolen code lines sewn into the linings. Maybe a National Security type reason. :eek:

Other than that, does it seem to do something quite useful far above what the rest of the pack is offering for free?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.