Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a problem with random disconnects on my desktop. It is connected via ethernet to a Belkin WRTR_159G_v01 which is connected to a Scientific Atlanta DPC2100 I am in the United States with Comcast as my ISP. The affected computer is running windows XP sp2. My LAN card shows up as an Intel PRO/100+ Management adapter. Now that you have my info, here is my problem: every 10 minutes (more or less) I get disconnected from the internet. The disconnects probably only last a few seconds or fractions of a second but it is enough to both knock me off of my IM client and Team Fortress 2. I used to have a problem like this with my onboard LAN. Then I started using a USB wireless adapter. It had problems with disconnections because of how far I am from the router (I assume), the disconnects were much fewer and further between than with the onboard LAN though. But even that wasn't bearable, so then I took this network card out of one of our older computers we aren't using and it worked beautifully for a good 3-4 weeks. Last week is when these problems started. I've already checked to make sure all of my cables are plugged in tight and reset both TCP/IP and WINSOCK to installation defaults. Still no luck. Any idea what the problem is? Does my computer just like to mess up LAN cards?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm losing the entire connection, but windows isn't saying anything about it. Online games kick me, my chat client goes down, but it is so brief that web browsing doesn't seem to be affected. It is just long enough for things that require a constant connection to kick me. Yesterday something was happening with my streaming videos. The video would play but stop every five seconds until I move the little progress bar.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
C:\Documents and Settings\Patrick>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : computron20x6
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : ClarkNet

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 3:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : ClarkNet
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100+ Management Adapter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-90-27-D6-B7-F7
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.5
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 68.87.69.146
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, March 11, 2008 4:00:25 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, March 12, 2008 4:00:25 AM

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Upon further inspection, I've discovered that the other computers on the network are doing the same thing. So my network card is obviously not the problem. The router or modem or possibly the ISP is what things have been narrowed down to. Any ideas on further diagnosis?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Connecting directly to the modem seems to get rid of the problem completely. So the problem obviously lies within the router. Anything I can do to diagnose the router or should I just invest in a new one?

We previously had troubles with a short in one of our wall connections for the cat5 cable. This is what we think ruined our last router but we rewired the wall plate about halfway through this router's lifespan (up to this point).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.