Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks!

I'm installing Vista RTM on a friends computer and we've run into a problem with the soundcard.

Let me first say that this is a re-install of Vista RTM.

Vista installed the High Definition Audio Device for the SoundMAX ADI1986A Audio Device, but it installed it for the Digital Output Device (SPDIF). His mb doesn't have a SPDIF.

On the first Vista installation he had sound, and nothing has changed (connector-wise) in the back of the computer.

Any idea why Vista would have installed the Audio for SPDIF and not just for the High Definition Audio Device?

And, more importantly, any way I can change the SPDIF to High Definition Audio Device?

I've tried un-installing the Audio Device and I am unable to update the driver with any drivers ASUS provides (only XP) or nVidia provides (drivers are for RC1 and not the 430 chipset).

Here are his specs:
Athlon 64x2 3800+
ASUS M2N-MX motherboard
1GB PC5300 DDR2 RAM
etc. etc.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

·
Retired Trusted Advisor
2,059 Posts
I had the same motherboard until very recently. I had no problems with the auto install from the RTM. Perhaps you could go to the Control Panel/Device manager and uninstall the sound drivers and then reboot and do an update through the same facility?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.