Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I have recently bought a Creative Soundblaster Audigy FX 5.1 sound card, however, although it is showing in my devices list, I can't select it as an output option in sound settings. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
52,999 Posts
You could try disabling the onboard audio in the BIOS setup of the motherboard and then boot up with the speakers plugged into the Creative sound card, make sure you are using the correct plugs on it too, the card has several ports are some are line-out or mic or rear speakers.

Also if you open up the Creative software or Creative Control Panel what does it do?

·
Super Moderator
46,746 Posts
At this point, here is what I would do. Start over and do the following in the order posted;
1 Uninstall ALL sound software ie realtek driver, creative drive, any sound suite, etc
2 When done, do not reboot. Tell it later
3 Shutdown and pull out the creative card
4 Pw ON and enter the bios. Be sure the onboard sound ie realtek is disabled. Some high end motherboards will do this automatically when a real sound card is installed however do check and be sure it is disabled
5 Pw ON and let the system fully boot. Download the latest driver from the creative site. The driver on an install disk is almost always out of date
6 Shutdown and reinstall the creative card. If you have a choice of what pci-e slot, use a different slot
7 Pw ON and install the driver you downloaded in step #5. Reboot when prompted
8 Be sure your speakers are plugged into the creative card and not the onboard sound plugs on the motherboard

·
Premium Member
52,999 Posts
Might be a compatibility issue too, the cheap Creative cards don't play well with some modern hardware. Why the need for this card over the on-board audio? It's likely only marginally better. Creative drivers are also known to be buggy.

Are you using the downloaded drivers or the disc to install the card?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm using the downloaded drivers, I got this card as yes it was cheap and I have recently got new sourround sound speakers and the onboard doesn't have that capability

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.