Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently, my computer was wiped clean and was rebooted with XP, everything was fine but there is no Sound anymore. Tried multiple things to test it (itunes, games, etc) And they didnt work. Ive looked at control panel, the sound panel. All the options are greyed out like i dont have any speakers. (I do)

Please help. Ive looked around the forums for an answer but all the similar problems dont seem to help. Thanks in advance:)

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
Do you have an integrated or add-on sound card? Check from the back of your computer. Are the speakers connected to the big area where at least most of your USB ports are, as well as some other ports, or are they lined up separately?

Whatever the answer to that... Download PC Wizard, find out your motherboard or sound card model, go to either the sound card manufacturer site and download drivers from there, or to the computer OR motherboard manufacturer site (if you have a factory-built computer, Dell, HP/Compaq, Gateway, etc, then to their site, if it's self or custom built at a shop, then to the motherboard mfg site) and get the sound drivers from there.

·
Trusted Advisor
85,517 Posts
Weeniall:

A hard drive format and fresh install of XP will rarely install the drivers for all the devices in a computer. That's why you want to have the current drivers burned off to a CD-R before you start. In your case, the sound driver didn't get installed.

If that's a known factory-brand computer and has the original sound device, we may be able to determine its description with the brand name, model name, and model number of that computer. If it happens to be a Dell, there'll be a service tag number on the sticker.

--------------------------------------------------------------

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.