Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I boot my computer it says that it detected new hardware. The hardware is a PCI Ethernet controller and has a big questionmark icon beside it. The properties says:
Device Type: Other Devices
Manufacturer: None specified
Hardware version: 017

"The drivers for this device are not installed (code 28). To reinstall the drivers for this device, click 'reinstall drivers' "

I clicked reinstall drivers, chose Microsoft Windows Update, and it searched the web, but says it can't find any drivers.

Also, I have no sound seemingly every time I boot up my computer. I go into the creative programs and clcik on 'restore defaults' after which it reboots the computer and I have sound (Untill I reboot my computer again....)

I have a PIII 550 192 RAM and a SoundBlaster LIVE sound card.

Any solutions?

MolsonMan :cool:

·
Registered
12,041 Posts
Well for one thing you need to get the ethernet drivers from the manufacturers site. Once you download and install that should stop. That may also be what is messing with your sound.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not too sure I understand what an ethernet is exactly and I'm not sure who the manufacturer would be in this case. Is it the sound card that needs the drivers? I'll be updating those right now while I wait for your reply. :)

·
Super Moderator
37,537 Posts
Hiya

Your ethernet is your Network card. To find out what its called, try this.

Control Panel | System. Device Manager tab. Click on Network Adapter. You may have to expand it. It will have its name there.

Regards

eddie

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmmm.... the plot thickens.

Under 'Network Adapters' there is only the dial-up adapter from Microsoft installed. I have a LinkSys - Ethernet 10/100 LAN card supposedly installed, should it not be here as well?

Also in device manager, right underneath the 'Network Adapters' selection is an 'Unknown device' selection with a question mark icon. This is where my PCI Ethernet controller is and the icon is a question mark with a little yellow exclamation mark beside it. I assume this means there is a problem...

In the properties for this, under the resources tab, it says "This device isn't using any resources because it is not currently enabled or has a problem." And gives me the option to set the resources manually.

I also noticed I couldn't open network neighborhood from this computer a couple of days ago. (Kept getting an "Unable to browse the network" error message) I was trying to connect my Laptop to my desktop. (Which I have done a thousand times before with no problems.)

I guess I should find drivers on Linksys's web site? Heh heh, I'll try that now....

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well..... I dunno..... I tried to dload the drivers from Linksys's page. I picked what I thought to be my drivers and downloaded them. But Windows didn't recognize them when I pointed it to the folder they were in. So I told windows to search for drivers and picked LinkSys and Ethernet 10/100 LAN from the lists and it seemed to find the right driver and installed it. It said that the driver was installed and reboots and then says there is no driver for the card still. How can a computer be this dumb? :)

(Then again, my computer may be saying the same about me...)

My properties for the card have changed, however, and are quite interesting. Under the resources tab it says "Windows cannot determine which resources this device is using. This problem may occur because Windows cannot assign a configuration due to a conflict with other devices in the computer."

Please don't give up on me. :(

·
Registered
12,041 Posts
Have you installed any new hardware that could account for this problem. Kind of like that last one with the modem???????

Need to post your irq's, you remember how

start/run/type msinfo32 and press enter. Left hand frame, hardware tab, expand it, select irq's, once the info apprears go the the edit menu, choose select all, back to edit menu, choose copy, then paste back here in this thread

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I put in some extra memory..... Would that count?

0 System timer
1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
2 Programmable interrupt controller
3 (free)
4 U.S. Robotics 56K Voice PCI
4 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
4 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
5 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
6 Standard Floppy Disk Controller
7 (free)
8 System CMOS/real time clock
9 Creative SB16 Emulation
10 Creative SB Live! Value
10 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
11 Xpert 99/Xpert 2000
11 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
12 PS/2 Compatible Mouse Port
13 Numeric data processor
14 Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
14 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
15 Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
15 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller

·
Registered
12,041 Posts
I got a bad feeling your network card(which isn't listed as having an irq) and your sound card are fighting for irq 9

this is not my forte but.

Go into device manager, click on the linksys card, select properties, settings, try to manually change it's irq to 3/4/5/ or 7.
If you can't the only thing I can think of is to physically remove it from the machine and put it in a different pci slot, that should force it to another irq

·
Registered
12,041 Posts
After looking again I am wondering if you enable creative sb16 emulation lately, that's the dos drivers for sound. If they grabbed irq 10 then that would explain the problem.
If your not using dos sound do this

Open Control Panel/System/Device Manager/Creative Miscellaneous Drivers/Creative SB16 Emulation.
Click on 'properties' and check 'disable in this hardware
profile'.

Then reboot and install linksys drivers again if necessary

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here's a new list. Windows disabled my nic for some reason which is why it wasn't listed in the IRQs. It's on 5 now.0 System timer
1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
2 Programmable interrupt controller
3 (free)
4 U.S. Robotics 56K Voice PCI
4 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
4 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
5 Linksys LNE100TX Fast Ethernet Adapter(LNE100TX v4)
5 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
6 Standard Floppy Disk Controller
7 (free)
8 System CMOS/real time clock
9 Creative SB16 Emulation
10 Creative SB Live! Value
10 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
11 Xpert 99/Xpert 2000
11 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
12 PS/2 Compatible Mouse Port
13 Numeric data processor
14 Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
14 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
15 Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
15 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller

·
Registered
12,041 Posts
k it has an irq now, does it have an error message yet or did the driver install. If the driver didn't install go to the nic in device manager and click on the update driver, point it to the driver file you downloaded.

Once you get it reinstalled you will have to reset all the tcp/ip protocols in network neighborhood I would guess

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well.... I don't think it's the driver. It kept scanning the driver I downloaded and saying that it recommended keeping the existing driver.... all the while having a driver error message. I then forced it to use the downloaded driver and it changed nothing... although the next time it scanned for drivers it wanted to change from the one I got right from LinkSys. Which I let it do, which reports a, sigh, driver error.

Under the general tab in the controller properties it says "This device is either not present, not working properly, or does not have all the drivers installed. (code 10)

Try upgrading the device drivers for this device."

So does this means it's either not present (hard to believe), or not working properly (a defective card that worked up till now???) heh heh.... this sucks. :confused:

MolsonMan

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
And this all started when I clamped my speaker wire from one speaker to the other. That is the first and exact time my sound went out. Could that have done something to the nic? Some kind of static charge or something? It's to wierd to be a coincidence.....

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanx Brian, I'll try that out tonight when I get home...I haven't really figured out anything yet so hopefully that will work.

Another question I thought of is if it might help to move my nic to another slot... would this possibly help at all?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I printed out the column "How to remove and reinstall the LNE100TX adapter" and started to follow it, but on page 2 it says to remove the file "LNE100TX.INF" from the C:\windows\inf directory. I don't have that file in that directory. Doing a windows search I have found the LNE100TX.INF file in the following directories:

C:\LinkSys drivers\client32
C:\LinkSys drivers\netware\server\mj411

Should I follow the instructions to remove this file from one of these directories instead? And is it necessary do delete this file from MS-DOS?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Allright. I re-downloaded the drivers (I believe the first driver file was corrupt somehow) and deleted/reinstalled them and everything seems to be up and running again. My computers see each other on the network again and my sound stays on after I restart the computer.

Thanx alot Brian. :p

MolsonMan

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.