Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sony Vaio desktop memory card reader/floppy MIA

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  etaf 
#1 ·
First off this is a Sony Vaio with a P4 3.2ghz with 2gb of ram and Windows XP Media Center. Important to note that the floppy drive/memory card reader is all 1 part, with 1 power cable and 1 floppy sized IDE going into the back.

So about 2 months ago, the power went out at my house and the power supply on my desktop ate it. Not to difficult to replace, but anyways, afterwards everything worked fine. Fast forward to Thanksgiving, and randomly a friend shows up to my house with his thesis, on two floppy disks (go team go!) So I pop the first floppy in, and the green light comes on, leading me to believe that it's working, but no dice. When I click the A: drive in my computer it just says "Please insert a disk". So I take the floppy out and realize that my floppy drive light, is not permanently lit. Since it's the floppy drive however, I go about my business. The real issue showed up about a week ago now. I used my card reader just fine about 2 weeks ago, I have photos on my computer to prove it(because I started to doubt whether I'd used it since the power supply problem) I hardly ever actually turn my computer off, and I think about a week ago it forced itself to restart because of windows updates, but when it came back on, there is no sign off life for my memory card reader. My Computer doesn't show the 4 drives it used to, there aren't any devices in device manager that have little yellow flags or anything like that. So I did a quick scan of a few things on google, and a few people mentioned that if you floppy light stays lit, your IDE cable is upside down. So I flipped it around, and bam, memory card reader working, floppy drive light off(but it still doesn't work). Fast forward to yesterday, and no memory card reader again. At this point I've flipped the IDE cable back to it's original position, but find it interesting that it worked at some point, both the right way, and upside down... Any ideas?

See less See more
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.