Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Both PCs have XP with SP2.

OK. Here's what I did. I have two Dell Inspiron laptops. I did a system restore to factory settings a while back on one of them and it worked great.

This time on the other PC, I forgot that you reboot and press Ctrl/F11 to access the restore screen. I inserted a Re installation CD from my Dell Dimension 8250 with XP SP1. It worked, but I have no sound, no modem, or anything. The drivers and utilities disc that I have is for the Dimension 8250. When I try to extract drivers and etc it doesn't work.

Now when I try to reboot and press Ctrl/F11, it doesn't work because the version I loaded is too old for this feature.

What do I need to do? Get a newer Re installation CD from Dell?

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
you can go to Dell and get the right restore disk, wipe the drive and reload, or you can buy a copy of XP, write zeros to the drive and load, after tracking down all the drivers for your HW, which may be tough or impossible.

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.