Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
last night my computer was working just fine, everything was working just like it has been since i got the computer. this morning i tried starting it and it came on for barley a second and then shut off again. i didnt think about it and didnt cut the power on the back of the tower. then i realized it did it again and then again. i have absolutly no idea what is going on, does anyone?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Any other symptoms? How far along does the computer get before it shuts down? i.e. does it get as far as allowing you you to access BIOS etc.? or does it start to load the operating system?

Also, do you hear any beeping or unusual noises at all?

Could be many things, but often such things are related to power supply failures.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no nothing shows up on the screen my fans all turn on but very quickley after they come on they shut off. there are no odd sounds nothing, just comes one for a second then shuts off.

·
Registered
85 Posts
In that case its almost definitely either a power supply problem or a problem with the motherboard or CPU. I doubt its anything to do with overheating as your computer isn't on long enough.

I suggest you replace the power supply, either with another one you may own (i.e. from a second computer) or take it into a shop and have them do it for you. You can just take the risk and invest in a new one right away, but then that might be a waste of money if the current one is not the problem.

If its not the power supply then chances are either some component(s) on the motherbaord, or the CPU, have burnt out or become physically corrupted in some way. This is much less likely, but certainly possible.

If you don't have a replacement PSU to hand, I'd recommend taking the computer into a store where they can not only easily replace your PSU to test if that is the problem, without you having to buy one; but if its not the problem, they can examine other possible causes.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Check all your connections. It sounds like a power supply pblm.If you can test the pc with another power supply with equal wattage or greater.Is this a dell pc?Before doing what i suggested you can dis connect the drives only leaving the cpu and heat sink with fan connected>and 1 stick of memory>and video connected to the monitor.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I doubt its anything to do with overheating as your computer isn't on long enough.
Although I agree with you regarding the PSU, the above statement is not exactly correct.

Most modern CPUs have a "shut down temperature". If this temperature threshold is reached the CPU will shut down to avoid damage from overheating. ;)

And yes, it just takes seconds to happen, I had this problem with my old C2D E6300 setup. It shutted down right after the POST screen.

But anyway, since the OP doesn't provide more info regarding his CPU I can't say more.

Just my 0.02$, make sure the heatsink is properly attached to your mobo. You may need to replace the thermal compound on it as well.

Other than that do what DeputyDogg and frankjohn suggest, they got me covered regarding the PSU. :) :up:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the help me and another guy think we have narrowed it down to my PSU dying and no longer being able to handle the power for my computer. we unplugged a couple of the fans and the computer started up just fine, so im going to get a new one.

thanks again and ill be back if this doesnt work

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.