Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone please help me!!! My CD Drive no longer works. When I insert a CD into the CD Drive nothing happens! Or it says that there is no CD in the Drive. Please help! I can't even use Norton Ghost anymore to restore my drive because it says that in order to restore a drive it has to reboot from the Norton Ghost CD, but that's not possible since the CD Drive won't read it. What do I do???

Love,
Madeline

·
Registered
317 Posts
have you tried a couple of different previously known to be good
cds and have it say that none is inserted?

do you here any noise from the drive after you insert a disc?

if using windows, click through the following

start -> settings -> control panel -> system -> hardware -> device manager

under the heading

dvd/cdrom drives you should see a drive listed, if there is a + sign
click on that or double click on the heading

if you have problems you would see a red or yellow warning
next to dvd/cdrom drive heading

do that and report back, that will help figure out what is wrong

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I use to burn CD'S all the time. And one day when I decided to burn some songs to a blank CDRW all went bad. When it started to burn the songs to the CD the drive made strange clicking noises and couldn't complete the copying process. I removed the CD and from that moment on, the driver doesn't seem to work. I am at my office now, but I will do as you tell me when I get home. Thanks!

Love,
Madeline

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Probably 1 of two things

1. Laser lens out of alignment and when this happens trash the drive and buy a new one, cost more to have it fixed then buy new. you can get a one $20-30 nowadays that would work.

2. Its just dirty, You need to clean these thing every once in awhile. Go to Walmart, Radio shack or a similar store and get a CD rom cleaning kit (DVD rom you need to get a dvd cleaning kit) All it is a CD that has a special little brush on it that cleans the lens.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Maddy3 said:
Well I use to burn CD'S all the time. And one day when I decided to burn some songs to a blank CDRW all went bad. When it started to burn the songs to the CD the drive made strange clicking noises and couldn't complete the copying process. I removed the CD and from that moment on, the driver doesn't seem to work. I am at my office now, but I will do as you tell me when I get home. Thanks!

Love,
Madeline
clicking sounds can be bad. if it is a cdrw drive then you may have
got its lifetime of use out of it.

also report what operating system you are using.
make, model and age of computer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't even know how to install a CD-ROM Drive. Or remove one, I know it's embarassing. I know a about software but not too much about hardware. *sigh* I need to know more about hardware. But johnpost and schusterjo, I'll do as you told me and get back to you later. Thanks!

Love,
Madeline

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, I never usually have problems with "hardware," there's a first for everything I guess. Most of the people I have spoke with told me that the clicking sound means that my CD-DRIVE is smoked and its time for me to get a new one. Oh well, I know who to go to if I still have trouble installing or uninstalling it (even after reading the instructions on the link).

Love,
Madeline

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.