Tech Support Guy banner
  • IMPORTANT: Only authorized members may reply to threads in this forum due to the complexity of the malware removal process. Authorized members include Malware Specialists and Trainees, Administrators, Moderators, and Trusted Advisors. Regular members are not permitted to reply, and any such posts will be deleted without notice or further explanation. Notice
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I generally use Firefox and have Windows XP with Service Pack 2. I have auto-update and I believe the problems may have started after installing a security update.

Yesterday something quite odd started happening. I was able to open certain pages without any problem, whilst others (I think pages with high cookie counts - Hotmail, the Dell website) simply would not open irrespective of how long I left them loading. The top of the window would change name - "google" would become "sign in" for hotmail, for example - but the page itself would never load.

Here's what I've done so far and the results:

1. Full disk virus scan and rebooted a few million times. Turns out I had a trojan of sorts, which is now deleted, but no improvement.

2. Ran search and destroy, which found DSO Exploit lodged in my internet explorer current files. After visiting a load of forums, all of which said that said spyware was not harmful so long as one has the latest security updates (which I do), I attempted to follow these forums' advice to get rid of the spyware anywhere, though I don't think I did so successfully.

3. Uninstalled internet explorer, which wouldn't open the same pages either. Over the previous two days, internet explorer for the first time since I had it was being overrun by pop-ups, and at some point my PC had refused to shut down due to one of them. I ought to have virus-scanned immediately, but I wasn't able to.

4. Cleared DNS cache and deleted all cookies and temporary internet files.

5. Following some advice, unplugged router, let it run for a few minutes and rebooted PC.


It seems certain that I have a problem with tracking cookies of which I don't seem to be able to get rid. Since deleting the spyware, my computer has generally run a lot quicker, and for now I have set my internet to block any third-party cookies and to prompt me with regards to any first party ones.

After following all of the above steps, I managed briefly to at least get the hotmail sign-in page to load on Firefox, but then my attempts at signing in did not work. Other sites such as the Dell website loaded initially but then stalled.

It later transpired that the exact same problem had affected my flatmate, with whom I share a wireless internet connection.

I then proceeded to test out using another wireless connection (fortunately a neighbour allowed me to access his network), and all sites load absolutely fine. This suggests to me that the problem is related to the router, the security update and an issue with cookies, but I can't for the life of me work out what's going on.

I'd be grateful for any assistance you can provide!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So I got impatient and decided to update Search & Destroy, since I hadn't done so for absolutely forever and I thought that maybe Search & Destroy would be able to find whatever I couldn't.

Now the problem hasn't changed, but I can't open Search & Destroy either (the resident loads upon startup, but when I try to open the general program it doesn't load).

HELP please.
 
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top