Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know how to import your message history into Yahoo messenger? This isn't important at all, but if it isn't hard, I'm curious how I can. (I just upgraded my computer from Windows 2000 to XP Pro) MSN was easy...all I had to do was move the old files into the new directory on XP. But with yahoo there doesn't seem to be a folder where it stores it, and I'm pretty sure they wouldn't store it on their servers. Any ideas? Thanks...

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope. That just taked about saving your offline messages in your message archive, and tells you how to activate message archiving. What I would like to do, if possible, is physically move my old archive from win2k to my new archive on XP. It isn't a question of different opperating systems...just a matter of finding where they are stored. I looked through the other topics on that site, and they talk about turing it on, but not what I need.

Thanks though.....

·
Super Moderator
37,540 Posts
Found something.

I take it that you've created the archives before. If so, can you see any dat files in the folders? If not, just pop into Windows Explorer, and in Tools | View, click Show Hidden Files and Folders, apply and OK.

If you can see the dat file, just rightclick and open with Wordpad. make sure that little box is unticked before opening, about Always Opening...

eddie

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, got it. Good idea on the hiddle files and folders, I didn't think of that and if this wasn't as obvious as it turned out to be, I would have needed to do that. ;)

Anyway, they were in a folder called Yahoo!>Messenger>Profiles>[nic]>archive>... I have no idea why I didn't find this before. I think I might have two installs in my win2k setup, and one is in a different location. Because I KNOW I didn't see this archive (or profile) folder before.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I found it. I think I had two installs for some reason, and I was only finding the one which didn't have the archive. Go ahead and mark solved. Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.