Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I am trying to upgrade from XP Pro 2002 SP2 to SP3 on Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600 Laptop with 1GHZ Pentium 3 processor and 512MB RAM. Have attempted twice, and after about 90 mins to 2hrs when I come back to the PC I find "failed to install catalog files."

XP SP3 is listed in the Control Panel "Add/Remove Programs" list, and I considered removing whatever was there but was put off by the warning.

Given the length of time it takes to run the upgrade, I don't really want to start it again without first taking some corrective action which might increase the chance of success.

Log from TSG Sysinfo follows:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 2, 32 bit
Processor: Intel Pentium III processor, x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 10
Processor Count: 1
RAM: 510 Mb
Graphics Card: Trident Video Accelerator CyberBlade-XP (Toshiba), 16 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 19077 MB, Free - 7409 MB;
Motherboard: TOSHIBA, Portable PC
Antivirus: AntiVir Desktop, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

All suggestions welcome

John

· Registered
1,740 Posts
ram requirements for spk3 is 128mbts 16 for the graphics. check in task manager and see what memory is available before you run install spk3. I would recommend at the least 1gig ram

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/downloads/service-packs
go here to get the standalone spks3 file and install from your hdd not streamed from update doing it this way not more than 10 15 minutes to install..

· Registered
52,785 Posts

· Registered
52,785 Posts
You did a good job sorting through all the crap that comes up in a search to find the real gem of information. Congratulations. Good work. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.