Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there

I`m using XAMPP to test a blog.

However, this message shows to me now every time I try to access the blogs pages and in doesn`t let me in XAMPP`s user mains page.

Whats happening? What can i do to solve this?

Thanks

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the error.log has a message that says:

.htaccess: RewriteEngine not allowed here

What happens here? I`ve gone to the .htaccess and it has a single sentence like this:

# BEGIN WordPress
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /xampp/mywebsite/
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule . /xampp/mywebsite/index.php [L]
</IfModule>

# END WordPress

What should I do in order to solve the problem?

·
Registered
696 Posts
Not a problem unless you need WordPress.

To eliminate the original error, you should modify the apache config file to allow the RewriteEngine to work from the .htaccess file with the AllowOverride directive.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don`t know. I actually never tryed to move to another page before the error 500. To solve the error 500 I deleted the .htaccess file.

Could this be the cause of the problem?

·
Registered
696 Posts
Yes and no.

Before you deleted the .htaccess, the server was complaining that you can't run the statements in the .htaccess file, so the whole thing was bombing.

Now without that file, the server is telling you that it can't find the files you are linking to. The missing .htaccess file is *not* the problem. You're links are simply pointed to files that don't exist, at least not in the place the server is looking.

The statements in the (now deleted) .htaccess file would have caught the error of the missing files and re-directed to the home page so your website wouldn't look broken (like it is now).

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The big probelm is that the solutions I had found at the time for the error 500 where about oweriting some statements, but in my .htaccess file they where just right, there was no problem with those statements but the problem persisted.

So, when I create a new post on the blog thats attached to my xampp server, doesn`t the blog system create automatically a page? so when I click on the post it is viewed in its entire structure?

I mean like: You have a blog and you create a post that has just a sentence of home page thats an introduction. And when you click on its title you wanted to go to the page where its entirely showed. Doesn`t that other page be created automatically?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No I`m still testing it through xampp and only then working everything fine I`ll host it online.

Yes I could modify with the notepad, but ever since I deleted the .htaccess file it disappeared. Don`t have it anymore.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
cut and paste from your post in this forum into a new file called .htaccess. Voila, you've got it back.
Paste what?

I deleted it, I have nothing to show you. Must I download one that I find on the web?

The Path is not screwed as it is just like it came from the downloaded XAMPP that I got on the official site.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.