Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I currently have an ATI Radeon X1550 512MB PCI-I x16 GPU on a Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 Rev 3.3 mobo with latest F14 (not Beta) BIOS.

When trying to play a snooker game (I know - lol) - I have to run it in 800*600 and turn settings such as anti-aliasing, anisotropic filtering etc to either minimum or off.

My PC is fully optimised, defragged, I have tried disabling all AV etc but cannot seem to make any improvements.

I have the correct drivers for the Card (which took some doing as on Windows 7 RC x64 Ultimate).

The only thing I can think of is updating the X1550 BIOS.

1. How do I do this
&
2. Where do I get the proper BIOS
or
3. Is it safe to up the PCI-E clock up from 100Mhz

I enclose a screenshot of the GPU details.

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Updating your graphics card BIOS (if it is possible anyway - usually it isn't) won't help you with your games.

Are you sure that your game supports higher resolutions? It's not uncommon for casual games to provide only basic graphics settings and resolutions.

If you don't have any other problems and you are sure that you are running the latest stable ATI drivers then I don't think there's much you can do. :(

I don't know if it's possible to raise the PCI-E clock...If your motherboard supports this function I advice you to avoid doing this.

You probably reffer to the GPU clock however. While this is safer I doubt it's going to help. The X1550 is a pretty slow card. Overclocking it won't help much with today's games, let alone that it's dangerous. Cheaper cards aren't very o/c friendly and their cooling systems are usually lame.

Oh, 100 Mhz is a BIG o/c! Raising your clocks by 5-10 Mhz would make more sense... :)

·
Registered
274 Posts
I have the correct drivers for the Card (which took some doing as on Windows 7 RC x64 Ultimate).
My money is on the driver conflict when running an older game (I am assuming the snooker game was out for Win XP) - just unload your game and then open up the XP Virtual PC mode and install it again. Then see if your problems still exist.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I meant the PCI-E clock is currently set to 100MHz - I wasn't going to increase by 100MHz ;)

I will try the XP Compatibility mode tonight once back from work.

Thanks guys - will keep you posted on my progress later today.

Regards

Chris

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Think I just answered my own question - my CPU does not support virtualisation - boo!!

As regards updating BIOS on GPU - how is this done and where can I get the BIOS file if one exists?

Attachments

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You can get the bios update from your motherboard mfg. I & others do not recomend doing a bios update. If you do a update its not going to solve your pblm.
You are right of course - point taken. :eek:

I will save up and get an upgraded system when money allows.

Thanks guys.

Regards

Chris

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.