Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently preformed a reformat and now my computer won't play this CD. It has played it many times before. It shows error # 8004025C "Cannot play back the audio stream: The format is unsupported". I clicked on "details" and it says: "No more information is available".
When I put the CD into the drive, my computer dials up and goes on line, for some strange reason? There is a green bar that scans down the titles\tracks on the CD and when it gets to the last song, this is when the above error pops up.
This is a BURNED CD.
I'm running: Win. Me., AMD Thunderbird Processor 1.333Ghz., Asus A7A266 A socket Motherboard. 256 MB of SD Ram, 20 Gig Hard Drive.
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Remember, please keep it in "simple" terms. Thanks Dave.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Brian: Which one do I download? The 1st one that reads: Divx4 Codec Installer.exe.
Version 4.02
Size 431
Date 2001-10-17 23.27 GMT
Just want to make sure, never downloaded anything like this before. Any istall instructions Brian or does it install directly to my Media player? Thanks Dave.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BrianF: I installed the codec that you suggested and it still does the same thing as before. It scans down the title\track list ect. You are on the right track though, I notice that it is searching for a codec, I can't tell which one because it only went online the first time I tried to play this CD. Now it just gives the unsupported error refered to above. I'd like to remove Media Player and try reinstalling it, but I see no way of doing that. Do you think reinstalling it might correct this problem? Thanks Dave.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Brian: I read over the info you sent me too and I think I'd like to try to uninstall Wn. Media Player. Can you tell me how to do this in simple terms? I'm running Wn. Me. Thanks Dave.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BrianF: The program "Windows Media Player is NOT there, under Control\Add\Remove programs, that's why I asked for instructions on how to remove it. The program does, hpwever appear in my Start\Programs list though with no unistall feature. Thanks Dave.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Further information: I have tried another CD in this player and it does the same thing. A green bar scans down the song titles\tracks list and displays the following: "Wating", "Connecting to codec server", "Sending request for codec". It displays this with each song title it scans. Hope this additional information is of some help? Thanks Dave.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Brian: The box for media player 1.0 was checked already. Is there NO way of removing media player 7 that iI got from the Windows update site? Thanks Dave.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Brian: Sorry I didn't get an email notice of your reply.
The files in question where downloaded as Mp3's and converted to Wav. then burned on a CD. Dave.

·
Registered
12,041 Posts
Well I don't get it. Might I suggest using another player to see if the files will work with that. Winamp should play them fine.
www.winamp.com

For some reason it either doesn't like the burn or the conversion format???????

What happens if you try to play a wav file from your harddisk, one of the windows media files ??????

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
All my burned CD's have worked previously with Media Player, on ALL the same computer equipment. ALL I had done was reformat the hard drive.
I opened a flpppy disk where I have a funny jingle stored and drug it on to the desktop and it won't play. Same error "Cant playback because the format is unsupported. Dave.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Brian: I'm getting desperate here too. I have a better idea. I'm gunna do a reformat again as I have a bug in Ms. Word too. Thanks for ALL your time and trouble. Dave.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.