Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone i have bought my self a laptop and linsky router, my modem is a netcomm 1300 single port,i have my modem running to my pc via usb,im haveing problems setting the linksys up as this is my first time,my laptop is seeing the linksys router but just cant seem to access the net,i know there is a conflict as both linksys and netcomm configured at the same ip 192.168..1.1 ive tryed to change the linksys ip and done as much as what i can think of to correct the problem and running out of ideas,has anyone else used these two togeather or could they help me out in some way im realy lost now on what to try next.thanks for your time.

·
Super Moderator
65,526 Posts
does the linksys have a modem included - or just a route r- post model number

also post an IPCONFIG /ALL

the modem is connected the router and the router to your laptop

is this by wire or wireless

if its a USB only modem its unlikely to work with the router or is that USB too

ipconfig /all

TWO Methods to do that - some people have problems with ONE----

ONE ---------------------------------
start
run
cmd
ipconfig /all

rightclick in the box
select all
enter
control key + C key - to copy
then reply here and
control key + V to paste

TWO -----------------------------------------------

Start, Run, CMD to open a DOS window and type:

IPCONFIG /ALL >C:\RESULT.TXT

Open C:\RESULT.TXT with Notepad and copy/paste the entire results here.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok thanks for your reply the linksys is just a router,now i have just got it going the way ive got mine setup is modem to usb on pc,ethernet from modem to an 8 port switch then switch to linksys router then wireless to laptop,the problem could have be 2 things one i changed the lead and the other i turned off the firewall on my pc,im not sure if that had any thing to do with it as ive turned it back on the laptop is still working,but could you be able to tell me for sure if the firewall on my pc would have any effect on the wireless router?if it hasnt i would put it down to a bad lead.thanks

·
Super Moderator
65,526 Posts
strange connection to have -

anyway yes the firewall will effect wireless connections to

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the reason i have a switch is my modem only has one port and ive been running other computers off it for a couple of years,the laptop and wireless router are not staying here,i just bought it at xmas for my daughter and just wanted to set it up for a run,if it was staying here the switch would be going. its real annoying when you try for hours to get it working then put a post up for help then it works while im waiting for a reply lol.thanks for your help i will put it down as solved :) :up:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Im now for some reason haveing problems with the router or the laptop,after the latop is closed down and its restarted the laptop loses its coonection to the router or vice versa and the only way i can get it connected again is reset the router and reconfigure it again,and its been happening since my last post and are lost now on what the problem is,anyone have an idea or could help out,thanks.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The router model number is wrt54g v5 and here is the ipconfig thanks

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\sophie t>ipcnfig/all
'ipcnfig' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Documents and Settings\sophie t>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : sophie
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Marvell Yukon 88E8038 PCI-E Fast Eth
ernet Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-16-36-C1-C7-3C

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Atheros AR5005G Wireless Network Ada
pter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-19-7D-1D-3C-85
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.100
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.254
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.254
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, January 08, 2007 10:47:59 PM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, January 09, 2007 10:47:59 P
M

C:\Documents and Settings\sophie t>

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok ive by passesd the switch gone from modem to router and the same thing happening n cant access the net,also when i reconfigure the router to the setup i posted above and if i reboot the router i lose the connection to the laptop router vice versa and i got to reconfigure again,are the setting above seem ok for it to work propley?i dont know why it was working ok and now its not,also i see when i reconfigure and pres save it tells me that "settings successfuly please release/renew ip" im not sure what it means but like i say it was working earlier.thanks

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok ive done that and its saying something about media been disconnected,ive save the log to check out thanks.

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\sophie t>ipconfig/release

Windows IP Configuration

No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection while it has its media di
sconnected.

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

C:\Documents and Settings\sophie t>ipconfig/renew

Windows IP Configuration

No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection while it has its media di
sconnected.
An error occurred while renewing interface Wireless Network Connection : unable
to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out.

C:\Documents and Settings\sophie t>

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok after some more testing,thought i would take the laptop to another place and try a diffrent router a (belkin) some thing happen connect to the router cant access the net thinking it could be my network card,so i brought my brothers laptop back here to see if i could acces the net through my linksys and still the same thing happen i can connect to the router but not the net,so now im totaly out of ideas on what to try next excpet for getting rid of both the router and the moden, it works no problem through cable,anymore thoughts?is it safes to say im surposed to be using a cross over cable?anyway ive tryed both .thanks.

·
Registered
58 Posts
where are yo using a crossover cable. those cables should only be used to connect like devices (router to router, switch to switch, modem to modem, computer to computer etc.) and you would want to use a regular ethernet port on both devices. I believe you said you have a modem, switch and a wireless router? in that case there would be no need for a crossover anywhere. Also does either you or your brother have any kind of security set up on the router WEP, WPA any thing like that b/c if you connect to to a router that is encrypted but dont have the right key in your computer you will only associate with that router and have no internet access (which may be whats happening when you try to connect to the other network) you might also want to take the solved off of this thread more people will look at it and we can get some fresh ideas in here. I'm a fairly good troubleshooter and I do the best I can but the more the merrier and hopefully the quicker we get your problem solved.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ill start by showing you the router security setup.i had to zip it.so say if iget rid of the switch and use a patch cable form ethernet from modem to ehernet in router it should be ok?also been looking at linksys website and there is a firmware download for this model should i upgrade or not yet?

Attachments

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok think i have the problem sorted,this was how i got told to set the router up was to change ip then save and then disable the dhcp then save,what i did was reset router change ip and save leave the dhcp enabled reboot the router and all seens to be fine,why to disable the dhcp i dont know:rolleyes: but he must have his set up diffrent with it disabled.very simple solution sitting right under my nose the whole time:mad: i wont mark as solved until ive tryed it a few times,thank you all for your help and your time much appreciated.:up:

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the upper right of the screen.

·
Registered
58 Posts
dhcp serves up IP addresses to all of the devices in a network. so if your router is running dhcp when a computer connects to it that computer will ask for an IP address and the dhcp server (the router in your case) will assign an ip address, usually it runs fine but it looks like that was your problem that person showed you how to set up static IP addresses. I'm glad it worked and thank you for posting the fix!!

·
Super Moderator
65,526 Posts
do you have the firewalll enabled - if so disable it

then

lets see if you can get out onto the internet with both names and IP's - its possible the IP number you get back on the first test is different to the one I post {I'm in UK} so use the number you get instead of mine

------------------------------------------------
try ping the name and then the IP see below

start
run
cmd

C:\Documents and Settings\wayne>ping 192.168.0.254

C:\Documents and Settings\wayne>ping google.com
Pinging google.com [64.233.187.99] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 64.233.187.99: bytes=32 time=120ms TTL=243
Reply from 64.233.187.99: bytes=32 time=107ms TTL=243
Reply from 64.233.187.99: bytes=32 time=102ms TTL=243
Reply from 64.233.187.99: bytes=32 time=101ms TTL=243

Ping statistics for 64.233.187.99:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 101ms, Maximum = 120ms, Average = 107ms

C:\Documents and Settings\wayne>ping 64.233.187.991
Ping request could not find host 64.233.187.991. Please check the name and try a
gain.
C:\Documents and Settings\wayne>ping 64.233.187.99
Pinging 64.233.187.99 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 64.233.187.99: bytes=32 time=116ms TTL=243
Reply from 64.233.187.99: bytes=32 time=113ms TTL=243
Reply from 64.233.187.99: bytes=32 time=113ms TTL=243
Reply from 64.233.187.99: bytes=32 time=111ms TTL=243

Ping statistics for 64.233.187.99:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 111ms, Maximum = 116ms, Average = 113ms

C:\Documents and Settings\wayne>