Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am helping the small town library out. Here is my problem

Years ago they had that gates deal going where gates gave away free computers and set up a network for them, however since then they have added some computers, others have been given away or don't work, I think you get my drift here.

So I hope someone can help me with the little blt of info I have cause I am FRUSTRATED.

I think there are like 6 computers in all
they have a modem > router > switch so all can get DSL
everything as far as the internet is working fine. it is with this printer they want to be able to print on from all the computers. it is a laserjet 42oo hp printer and is hooked right into the network. some of the computers can print of of it with no problem. It is one xp computer giving me fits.

I thought if the printer was hooked into the network all the computers should be able to see it. anyway they named the printer Black&White$.10 now I made sure the computer next to the one I am working on has it and it does and it prints. I made sure it said share on it and so I finally got it to show up on the xp I am working on. how ever it won't print and everytime I try to get into anything on it like to see the port or right click on the icon in printers and then clicl on properties it always comes back with printer properties cannot be shown operation cannot be completed and its with anythng you try to do.

If I go to the wizard to set up a printer where you find one on the network it doesn't show the Black&White$.10 to pick from and if i type that in for a name it won't except it. This printer has worked on this compter before.

I was going to run the install disk again cause that worked one time when it was ran and it goes all the through till I get to a part that asks for ???? I think it is the SNMP NAME OR THE SMNP NAME something like that , what is it asking for? the snmp name I tried the ip address of the printer and the Black&White$.10 name and it won't except those is says it is the wrong name or the printer isn't attached to the server but we now the printer is ok cause the computer right beside theis one prints on it.

Can someone tell me what to try or
what the name should be when it asked for the SNMP Name
or why it won't show anything under properties, with out that I can't see what port or anything. I am really frustrated on this, Can someone help??

While I have been waiting I was trying to refresh my memory on some things and I read this

Network printer

Some printers, often high-end printers have the capability to connect directly to a network or have hardware installed into them that enables the printer to be connected to the Network. If your printer supports this option and has the necessary hardware you should be able to connect the printer directly to the Network and have it detected by the computers

This is what they have but the computer is not seeing it

And this

Microsoft Windows 2000 / XP

Open the Windows Control Panel
Double-click the "Printers" or "Printers and Faxes" icon.
Double-click the "Add a printer" icon.
Once in the Printer Wizard click the Next button to get started.
Select either "A network printer, or a printer attached to another computer" or "Network Printer" and click Next. This option is different in Windows 2000 and Windows XP.
Type the name of the printer's network address. This will be the name of the computer and then the name of the printer. For example, if the computer on our network was called "hope" and our printer was called "hp" the network path for our printer would be: "\\hope\hp", if you are adding the printer on a Microsoft Windows XP computer you can click the Browse icon to browse your network and locate the printer.
Once the path has been typed in click Next.
If the printer was located over the network Windows should either install the printer or you may be required to install the drivers for that printer on the computer before completing the installation. If you no longer have the software or drivers for your printer you can locate the drivers for your printer through our printers driver section.

But again the computer is not seeing the printer, if you click browse it isn't listed, it you type in the Black&Whte$.10 the name of it , it says it can't find it but yet the computer right beside this one on the same network is using it. Just thought I would add this so you know I have look and tried.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Start the printer wizard, leave it clicked on first option...that it is attached, but uncheck the option to automatically detect, click next, click on create a port, and then choose standard TCP/IP port, click next, and next again in the next window. You then have to enter the ip address of the printer and click next again. You should then be prompted for choosing a printer from the list given, and the 4200 should be in that list, or choose have disk and direct it to the drivers that have.

·
Super Moderator
43,961 Posts
SNMP = Simple Network Management Protocol. I would assume it's the host name but without being there I can't tell you.

Is the HP a LJ4200N or a LJ4200 connecting via a JetDirect card?

·
Registered
644 Posts
Not sure why you are being prompted for SNMP name. I have not ran into this issue following the above instructions. Are you trying to run a exe/install from disk or just load the drivers using a .inf file?

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Two things needed:
1. Name of the computer or server the printer is attached to
2. The Shared name you gave the printer.

Then, you add a network printer by share name:

\\hostcomputername\sharedprintername

·
Registered
644 Posts
I got the impression and assumed that in your first post that the printer was "hooked up to the network". Meaning that it was attached via a patch cable to a switch/hub/router wheras it would be receiving it's own ip address. Otherwise you will need the info that jmwills has provided.

Sorry!

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thats just it, it is hooked by patch cable into the network so all the computers should be able to see it, I no the ip address and the computer name and the printer share name. the only thing I have not tried it the // computername/sharename which I will try today. However even if that works I would like to know for my own info why don't all the computers see the printer if it is hooked into the network. I thought that if it was hooked directly into the network that you could should click print and it would find the network printer or am I way off here? I will let you know if the hostname and share name worked when I get up there today. I apprciate all the help very much.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, I got the printer printing on all the computers it was a round about way but got it.
I thnink this is the whole problem tell me what you think

I found out today that they do not have the same workgroup name on all the computers.
They have Library for a couple of them and MSHOME for a couple and so on.

If there are say 8 computers, they can be named anything but they all have to have the same workgroup name to show up on the network, don't they? then they would show the network printer on all of them, right?

Anyway, can you go in and just change the workgroup name on any that you want with out messing anything up? and if so how do you change the workgroup name?
I think that is there whole problem, am I right??

·
Registered
644 Posts
Right-click My Computer and then properties, click on Computer Name tab and then change.

You are absolutely correct in that the computers with the incorrect workgroup name will not show up in my network places.

Running the network setup wizard from the control panel will help in configuring the computer, file and print sharing, and Windows Firewall.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.