Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the ide cable in my xp computer only has one end on it hooked to my hard drive. a friends computer went caput so my question is--can I just unhook my hard drive and hook my friends hard drive up that came from windows 98 and then save some of his infomation on disks for him, or do I have to do the master, slave thing and hook it in that way, I just want to hook his up to get some info off it and then rehook mine up. Can I do that??

·
Registered
95 Posts
Lord Yorien says:

If his O/S is caput and you hook his HDD to your system, you'll still have a caput O/S that won't start... and in the extremely strage case it starts, since you'll most probably have a different hardware profile, you may mess up your friend's O/S even more.

Best way is to hook your friend's disk as a Slave/Secondary to your system, so you can boot with your XP and get the info from there.

Lord Yorien Dragonard

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
his mother board went out. So can I just use another ide cable and then hook mine back up and his as a slave and do it that way? I am not sure if his harddrive is good or not. so can I hook it up that way just to find out if it is good or not.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, then wil I have to go into the BIOS and enable anything or not?? On my ide cable one end is on the motherboard and the other end is on the harddrive. can I hook the 2nd harddrive on the middle one as a slave or do I have to put the middle one on my hard drive and then the end one on his as a slave?? because it will check the middle one first won't it? or does it matter? Hope that doesn;t sound dumb but I thought it check the first one after the mother drive as the master if there was sometning hooked to it and the other end.??

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.