Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back and unpacked my PC and set it up at my apartment. It has been three months since my last use here (I was gone for a while) and now I am noticing that the Windows XP sound effects have only a bass component. No treble or high tones at all. However, all applications that have sounds work perfectly. Because the other applications and programs run fine, I am ruling out a wiring problem when I set up my compuiter again. I think this is software related. I installed new updates and rebooted, but I am fairly certain that this behavior was present before I even downloaded the new updates from Windows that it recommended. Now, can anybodt suggest something I should do to help troubleshoot? I have already ensured no sound channel is muted, such as the WAVE channel, and I can definitely hear a deep bass sound at times I would expect to hear a full audio clip. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
My first thought would be one of your speakers is not working. (it could also be a faulty cable - the point is, one speaker is not producing sound correctly). To test this theory, open the "volume control" application and move the slider under "balance" either to the far left or the far right. Under one of those settings, you should then hear the entire sound clip correctly (if the speakers are the problem). :)

Yes, no, maybe? :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.