Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am unable to login to Windows XP. I don't have my data files backed up so I would lose everything if I do a recovery or redo the setup as Microsoft advised. When I boot up, I get as far as the Welcome screen and have two user accounts to chhose from - Administrator and my account called me.
Regardless of which one I select, I see a message that my personal settings are being loaded and then immediately another message saying logging off.
I need to bypass this login screen somehow. I believe the problem was caused when I did a Norton scan and deleted numerous files that I thought were adware. There has to be someway around this that doesn't cause me to lose all of my data files. OR, if I could get to the point where I could make copies before running the recovery program, that would be fantastic.
Thanks! for any/all suggestions/advice you can provide.
P.S. I'm using an old PC to post this and it's VERY slow so I'm signing off now and will check back for responses when I get to my office tomorrow.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Ouch. :( Will WinXP let you boot to safe mode? Or dos? If the machine is part of a network, does it share the drive at that point or after a user logs in? (Win98 is sharing it's resources as specified by the time you get to the user login screen on a peer-to-peer tcp/ip network).

Have you also tried booting off a Norton or McAfee cd to see if there might be a virus causing the problem?

If you can get it to boot to dos, you could also try one of the dos scanners.

I'm assuming WinXP even will boot to dos... I haven't had to try it yet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! for the response. I can get to safe mode using the F8 key but all it does is return me to the same login screen. I'm not on a network. It's my personal pc at home. I don't have a Norton or McAfee CD. Norton came preloaded. I can't seem get to DOS at all. That would be wonderful. I'm tempted to write to Norton and complain that their software caused this. Does the Recovery route really reformat the entire hard drive causing me to lose all the data files I've created? I guess I'm just gonna have to do a restore. Is that a fairly simple routine? Thanks! again for the help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Could someone please look at the response I received from Norton and advise me whether or not it looks reasonable and doable for someone uncomfortable with editing the registry? Thanks!

In order to resolve this issue, please restore certain windows files and restart your computer. Please refer to the following document for more information:

Title: 'Windows does not load after Norton AntiVirus repairs a threat'
Document ID: 2004102208274906
> Web URL: http://service1.symantec.com/Support/nav.nsf/docid/2004102208274906

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Since XP was preinstalled and I had no CD, I had to download the setup from the MS site and was then able to implement the fix provided by Norton. Not sure why it worked but it did. Thank you for all you do here. I'll be back. :up:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.