Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Windows XP installed on my desktop computer. Every once in awhile, the yellow "shield" appears in the task-bar telling me that the update has been 7% or 11% downloaded but then the shield disappears. (Or is hidden on the task bar.) When I go to the Windows download site, I find that I have five (5) priority, security updates available but when I click on "update" the downloads of the five (5) updates show as "failed." I need to download and install these priority updates but up to this point, I haven't be able to. Does anyone have any idea as to what is going on? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
try this Click Start > Run > Type the following commands in the Open box (one at a time, in sequence):

REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuapi.dll
REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuaueng.dll
REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\atl.dll
REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\wucltui.dll
REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\wups.dll

After re-registering the files, try the Windows Update site again.

One final thing I could suggest is to rename the SoftwareDistribution folder (found in your windows folder) to SoftwareDistribution.old

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Natcom, thanks for the advise. However, I completed typing the above commands but I wasn't able to rename the SoftwareDistribution folder to "old." I tried twice and got a box stating something like, "Unable to complete. Disk is full....." I am concerned because the five (5) updates that I can't download are security (the first one is High Security) and I think my computer is at risk. Why couldn't I rename the folder? Could it be a virus? Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Natcom, also, the yellow "shield" appears in my task bar and now it is up to 34% of updates downloaded but then it disappears!?! Do you know what is going on? Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
referee07 said:
Natcom, thanks for the advise. However, I completed typing the above commands but I wasn't able to rename the SoftwareDistribution folder to "old." I tried twice and got a box stating something like, "Unable to complete. Disk is full....." I am concerned because the five (5) updates that I can't download are security (the first one is High Security) and I think my computer is at risk. Why couldn't I rename the folder? Could it be a virus? Thanks again.
I'm sorry for not getting back to you soon try renaming SoftwareDistribution folder from safe mode
also for testing purposes try does security update login as administrator

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Natcom, thanks for the info. I did what you suggested, i.e., went into Safe Mode and renamed the file. Then in Regular Mode (?), I tried going to Windows Update. While I was doing that, the yellos "Shield" came into the tray and when I placed the cursor over it it showed 7%. The shield stayed there for several seconds and then disappeared. A few seconds it came back and showed 16% and then left for good this time. Also, when I tried to manually download/install the updates, I got the #@&%# "failed" after each attempt. Any other ideas, and thanks for all of your help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.