Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's all go this year.

I have a server that has decided to goto sleep over Xmas. The screen is black and you can't access anything at the console.

I can remote into the server, but I get the same black screen.

The software suppliers for the application on the server have requested we remote into the registery.

We have tried this in house before atempting to access the server and have not had any luck.

1: Has anyone had to do a remote reg fix?
2: Are there any special settings that need changing to do it?

Thanks in advance.

Neomaxi

·
Banned
24,388 Posts
Why would you contact a software vendor when you can't see anything on the screen? How is changing a registry key going to fix anything? Did they tell you which registry key needs to be modified?

Did you try just rebooting the server?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your replies.
I am not actually dealing with this problem.
My colleague has been dealing with the software supplier.
A reboot is not advisable at this time as the system is still running fine.
A very strange one i admit! :eek:
I agreed to explore the remote reg possibility.
Take all the issues we have with the server out the equation. I just really need to know the ease or hardship involved in remote registry editing.

Thanks again.

·
Banned
24,388 Posts
Editing a registry remotely is easy if you have rights to do so. However, changing registry keys will not make the display magically pop up. At the very least, no matter what you change, you'll have to reboot for it to take effect.

And of course you need to know exactly what registry keys to change. Did the vendor tell you what to change? If not, there's no point in remoting into the registry. What would you do once you're looking at the registry?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Like i said DoubleHelix, I'm only looking into the remote registry possibility.
I would imagined the software vendor wants to check some settings before shutting down.

I have tried a remote registry access without joy.
I am a senior network officer and don't usually mess with the PC side of things.
Rights won't be an issue as administrator accounts are set by us.

Thanks

·
Banned
24,388 Posts
Open regedt32. Click File, Connect Network Registry. Type the server name in the box.

This will only work if the ID you're logged in with on your computer is the same ID that has administrator rights on the server. If not, you need to do a Run As on regedt32 and run it under the ID that has admin rights on the server.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks again DoubleHelix :up:
I'll try it tomorrow.
That make sense. I've been thinking along the rights side of it rather that the user ID.
I'm sure that will work.
I'll post again if not, but if that don't work then i thik they gonna have to bite the bullet and bounce the server.

Thanks again for your help.
Much appreciated.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tried your suggestion but it still don't work.
Think it's coza we don't have a domain.
Something i've been banging on about.
We have a lot of windows servers in workgroups when they all should be part of a domain.
Thanks for your help but it's now been solved.
Sorry i can't tell you ow coz i didn't deal with it but i think the rebuilt a virtual server now instead.

Thanks again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.