Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I got a folder of pictures, when I go to open up a picture, it dont open, (Using Windows picture and fax veiwer) I can right click it, and open with internet explorer or any other program, but I want open it using Windows picture and fax veiwer, all it does when i try to open it is that the bar on the bottom (taskbar) comes up, but the actuall program dont load,

Windows XP, ram 256, ghz 2.8

is there a way I can reinstall Windows picture and fax veiwer? Thx in advance for your help

·
Registered
47 Posts
You mean you can right-click an image, but it doesn't give you and option to open it using 'Windows Picture & Fax Viewer"?

Windows Picture & Fax Viewer is installed right? If so, right-click your image choose Open with > choose an image view program in this case Windows Picture & Fax Viewer, and tick (put a check-mark) Always use the selected program to open this particular file.

I hope it work for you. Otherwise, you may have to find you another image viewer program to view your pictures and set it to make your image viewing next time much simpler. :)

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It does give me an option to open with Windows picture and fax veiwer, But what im saying is that program wont open it, somthing is wrong with "Windows picture and fax veiwer" How can I reinstall that?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I went and googled this under uninstall windows pictures & fax viewer and found this...

I hope there's an insight for you on this one.

[WEBQUOTE="http://www.theeldergeek.com/delete_pic_and_fax_viewer.htm"]

Delete Picture and Fax Viewer
If you find the default Picture and Fax Viewer more of an annoyance than a help, it can be removed as follows:

[Start] [Run] type regedit.exe and click [OK]
Navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/SystemFileAssociations/image/ShellEx /ContextMenuHandlers
Delete the Folder ShellImagePreview under ContextMenuHandlers

If you change your mind and want to restore the Picture and Fax Viewer

Create the ShellImagePreview folder and create the String Value (Default)
Assign it the value {e84fda7c-1d6a-45f6-b725-cb260c236066}[/WEBQUOTE]

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, Thx for yor info, but it dont solve my problem, Im not wanting to eliminate the "Windows Picture and Fax veiwer" I want to use it.

I deleted the string, and put it back on, but it still wont open, I think somthing is wrong with the actual "Windows Picture and Fax veiwer" Program, and deleting the string that makes the program run dont do anything, Im not sure how all this works, maybe im not making myself clear on what the problem is. But surely there must be a way to fix it,

·
Registered
269 Posts
Maybe try this. Open up your Control Panel. Click on Appearance & Themes. Click on Folder options. A box should open. Click on File types. It might take alittle bit to show all the file types on your computer. Scroll down to BMP, JPEG, JPG, basically all the image types. When you highlight them, towards the bottom of the box you'll see "Details for extension". Make sure it says Opens with Windows Picture & Fax Viewer. If it doesn't you hit the change button & click on it to set that as the default action. Hope this helps! Good Luck & let us know what the outcome is for you.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I tried that but to no avail, but like I said before, im not trying to make a picture open with a certain program, Im trying to get that program to work, "Windows Picture & Fax Viewer" loads part way, but it dont load the picture,

·
Banned
24,388 Posts
The window is probably off the screen. After opening a picture file using Picture and Fax Viewer and you can see it in the taskbar, right-click on it in the taskbar, and select Move. Then press an arrow key. The window should pop into view.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.