Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I go into control panel / windows firewall I get "Due to an unidentified problem Windows cannot display Windows firewall settings" Is it still working and are there downloadable firewalls that are better? I had spyware problems that cookiegal helped with and now I am totally paranoid!

·
Banned
11,097 Posts
Welcome,

Take a look in Services

Click Start then run type services.msc click OK.......go down the list and find Windows Firewall....take a look to see that it is started....double click on it and start it if it is not started and choose startup type Automatic

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went into Services ( I am learning so much on this site) but aha maybe my problem is there is no windows firewall listed! could I have accidentally deleted it using %temp%? I also attempted to use killbox in safe mode to delete temporary internet files( cookie gal was instructing me) but it could not find the prescribed files so I don't think I deleted anything.

·
Banned
11,097 Posts
Took a look at your previous posts and you are running XP and Service Pack 1

Any reason you have not upgraded to Service Pack 2?

You can download it or order the CD here or use Microsoft Updates

Look on the right-hand side

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Once again my ignorance hinders me. I am tying to learn as much as I can as fast as I can. How would one upgrade (what is a service pack?) I have the auto upgrades from MS turned on .Do you have any suggestions for better firewall protection?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just downloaded zone alarm and have rechecked to make sure that my auto updates are turned on. I may have had SP1 because I had to have xp reloaded from my CD that is a couple of years old.

·
Registered
11,849 Posts
Let's find out something about this computer and do it the erasy way. Please run the HijackThis as shown below and post the log file back here.

To download HJTsetup.exe To Download HijackThis go to the following: http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/forum/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=item5
Filename = 1137518044HJTsetup.exe

Save the file to your desktop.
Double click on the HJTsetup.exe icon on your desktop.
By default it will install to C:\Program Files\HijackThis.
Continue to click Next in the setup dialog boxes until you get to the Select Additional Tasks dialog.
Put a check by Create a desktop icon then click Next again.
Continue to follow the rest of the prompts from there.
At the final dialog box click Finish and it will launch Hijack This.
Click on the Do a system scan and save a log file button. It will scan and then ask you to save the log.
Click Save to save the log file and then the log will open in notepad.
At the top of the Notepad HJT log screen, hit Edit then Select All then click Edit and then click Copy doing that copies the text to the clipboard, you won't see it yet....
Come back here to this thread and Paste the log in your next reply. DO NOT have Hijack This fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.

A security expert should take a look at your log - please be patient.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
man I have openned up a can of worms here!!! I checked xp and had 58 updates to download. I started them thinking hijack this would not be accurate if done before the downloads . Now I have a pop up saying I have "files that are required for windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognized versions... The network location from which the files should be copied C:\WINDOWS\Service Pack files\i386/controls.man, is not available
Contact your system administrator or insert Windows XPKB908531 Source Files now. I downloaded AVG Anti spyware and have been letting it change files as it requested. Is this the problem and are the source files my original xp CD???

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
BUMP !Here is my hijack this log done after the above downloads etc. There is definitely something going on in there.Thanks for taking a look!Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 4:15:11 PM, on 12/28/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Lexmark X74-X75\lxbbbmgr.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\VSO\mcvsshld.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\VSO\oasclnt.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
C:\Program Files\Lexmark X74-X75\lxbbbmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeperUI.exe
c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsescn.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\avgas.exe
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\RUNDLL32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXPPS.EXE
c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsftsn.exe
C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
c:\program files\mcafee.com\agent\mcdetect.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcshield.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mctskshd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe
C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SSU.EXE
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe
C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
C:\Program Files\Hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.google.ca/
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: McAfee VirusScan - {BA52B914-B692-46c4-B683-905236F6F655} - c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshl.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Lexmark X74-X75] "C:\Program Files\Lexmark X74-X75\lxbbbmgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VSOCheckTask] "C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\VSO\mcmnhdlr.exe" /checktask
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VirusScan Online] "C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\VSO\mcvsshld.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [OASClnt] "C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\VSO\oasclnt.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCAgentExe] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCUpdateExe] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcupdate.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SpySweeper] "C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeperUI.exe" /startintray
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [!AVG Anti-Spyware] "C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\avgas.exe" /minimized
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] "RUNDLL32.EXE" C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] "nwiz.exe" /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KernelFaultCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\dumprep 0 -k
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] "RUNDLL32.EXE" C:\WINDOWS\System32\NVMCTRAY.DLL,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {215B8138-A3CF-44C5-803F-8226143CFC0A} (Trend Micro ActiveX Scan Agent 6.6) - http://housecall65.trendmicro.com/housecall/applet/html/native/x86/win32/activex/hcImpl.cab
O16 - DPF: {77E32299-629F-43C6-AB77-6A1E6D7663F6} (Groove Control) - http://www.nick.com/common/groove/gx/GrooveAX27.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://acs.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5free/asinst.cab
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WRNotifier - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WRLogonNTF.dll
O23 - Service: AVG Anti-Spyware Guard - Anti-Malware Development a.s. - C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
O23 - Service: LexBce Server (LexBceS) - Lexmark International, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
O23 - Service: McAfee WSC Integration (McDetect.exe) - McAfee, Inc - c:\program files\mcafee.com\agent\mcdetect.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee.com McShield (McShield) - McAfee Inc. - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcshield.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Task Scheduler (McTskshd.exe) - McAfee, Inc - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mctskshd.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee SecurityCenter Update Manager (mcupdmgr.exe) - McAfee, Inc - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\Agent\mcupdmgr.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs, LLC - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
O23 - Service: Webroot Spy Sweeper Engine (WebrootSpySweeperService) - Webroot Software, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe

·
Registered
11,849 Posts
With all of the missing files from installing SP2 I have a question on this version of Windows XP.

Is this a legal version of Windows?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yes my copy of xp is legal I got it when I purchased the computer. I have been busy trying to learn here on the forum( my work does not require much computer use ) since my last post I have upgraded to SP2 via the microsoft website. I now have the windows firewall working. One question, I downloaded Zone alarm firewall, will windows firewall cause a conflict? Since upgrading I have not had a chance to see if some of my problems with the registry have been repaired. I still have a slow start up but Cookiegal gave me some sites to research what I don't need at start up.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.